swamp thang knobs work backwards

number41
Hi everyone, new face here, First I'd like to thank you for a great site! I've found it to be really useful. I was building amps before I got interested in pedals. I have now built two pedals with no issues, however, my third one, which I've just finished - a swamp thang has one problem which I might need some help. It's now working and sounding great  but only one thing - the knobs work backwards! I have a feeling that it'll be one stupid issue that causing this but just couldn't find it. The toggle fast/slow work correctly, just the knobs that flipped. By this I mean for both slow and fast range at the position the it should be off instead it's the maximum setting for both speed and intensity. Somebody has any ideas what I might have done wrong?

Thanks very much in advance!

Re: swamp thang knobs work backwards

This is a very simple issue to resolve. You simply need to swap the wires from pot lugs 3 and 1 to reverse the sweep.

This applies to amplifiers, pedals, and anything else using potentiometers.

Re: swamp thang knobs work backwards

number41
Hi Travis, thanks for a quick reply. I was thinking that but then I checked with the layout and it's correct so that's why I posted. Anyway, now that you confirmed it I'll flip them. Thanks very much.

Re: swamp thang knobs work backwards

You're very welcome. Often times the pot lugs aren't numbered in the schematics used to draw the layouts, so we occasionally get them backwards in the layout.

Anyways.. What amps have you built? I'm in the process of building my first tube amp; a 5e3 clone. Just fired it up last night for the first time. What an incredible experience! I'd love to check out some of your work

Re: swamp thang knobs work backwards

number41
Right, I was about to say that I went checking with the schematics and the layout and mine seems right but there probably more than one way to write the symbol for the pot. If it shouldn't be anything else then I'll try to flip it tmr(it's late in Thailand now!) and see if it solves the problem.

Coincidence about the amp, most of the amps I've built are in the deluxe family! 5e3, 5e9a, 5g9 and ab763 I do like the 5e9a tremolux the most, a funky design that given me a bit of headache but sweetest siunding of them all.

I like the result of replacing the 250ohm cathode resistor with a 270ohm tesla wirewound resistor. If you ciuld find one, it'll make it cut and snarl!

Re: swamp thang knobs work backwards

That Tremolux does sound delicious. I love Fender amps.

Mine has a 270ohm Xicon wire wound resistor in it right now. I'm also using a Weber 12F150 in it which is a ceramic speaker similar to Jensen C12N

Feel free to post some pics in the open chat and hang around. We've got a bunch of great guys here that would love to check out your builds!

Re: swamp thang knobs work backwards

number41
I've just noticed in the comment section under the layout that somebody had already mentioned that it works but the pots are reversed so if the Mark reverse the pots in the layout then it can be verified.

Thanks again :)

Oh! By the way, I think the layout is true to the circuit though, I'd read it that way too from the circuit.