switchable tone knob circuit quesion

yalesmith
Hello. I built a fuzz and wanted to add a tone control but want  to make it switchable on and off and completely out of the circuit when off.  I think I have an idea but want to get others take.

Thanks

Re: switchable tone knob circuit quesion

tabbycat
yalesmith wrote
Hello. I built a fuzz and wanted to add a tone control but want  to make it switchable on and off and completely out of the circuit when off.  I think I have an idea but want to get others take.

Thanks
hi yalesmith, that's very do-able.

i made a superfuzz that that the switchable option of the standard tone scoop switch or swtc tone control pot and reistor cap network.

http://hammer.ampage.org/files/SWTC.gif
http://www.muzique.com/lab/swtc.htm

all you have to do is work out on the schematic for your pedal where the fuzz section meets the output section (often a single coupling cap to ground, before and after a chunk of components, signals a self-contained 'section').

between those two sections put a 2pdt switch that lets you choose between going straight across from fuzz to output (no tone control) or going from fuzz section to output section via your tone section ('tone stack' is another word for one).

the values you need will depend on what is coming from the fuzz section and what you need to go into the output section. for every pedal they will be different. the standard swtc values will give you a starting point to experiment with.

you can take your tone stack from anything, a big muff, etc, and make it fit your circuit. just a matter of trial and error. swtc is just a good reliable basic one to start with to get used to the idea.

by way of an example here is an fy2 companion fuzz with the swtc added on (they don't have a tone control as standard). maybe use that schematic and those values as your starting point.

good luck with your experiments.

Re: switchable tone knob circuit quesion

yalesmith
Thanks. I had built a standalone tone circuit and it was beneficial that I did cause it sounded horrible!!! I did use what you sent Ina fuzz and it worked well..... thanks a lot.