switching pots for trims

lucas abela
considering switching out gain and volume controls on the death by audio robot for for trim pots

the gain is 1m log and the volume is 100k log

but when i look up trims on mammoth there is no definition between lin and log or rev log

so if i wanted to change these to trim do i just use 1m trim and 100k trim pot?

or can you get lin and log and rev log trims?

Re: switching pots for trims

Silver Blues
I think all trimpots are linear, reason being that they are a "set-and-forget" kind of deal - you find a resistance value you need, put it there and forget about it. The difference in tapers on larger pots come about because they're designed to be adjusted constantly, so how the pot travels through its range is more important. Like for example, if you find you're getting all your gain in the last little bit of an external gain pot you replace it with a reverse log pot, but say there's one spot on the rotation you really like, then it doesn't matter how you get there, it only matters that you are there.

Re: switching pots for trims

lucas abela
so the easiest thing for me to do is connect the desired pots then find the sweet spot measure the resistance and juts pop in a resistor if i don't want the pot to have a knob

Re: switching pots for trims

my understanding is that there are trimmers in log, anti-log, and linear sweeps, but we never pay attention to it since it's usually a set it and forget it kind of thing. i would remove the trimmer and try a pot of the right value, just choose one of the sweeps, if it sounds right and you like it leave it, if not try a different taper.

Re: switching pots for trims

lucas abela wrote
so the easiest thing for me to do is connect the desired pots then find the sweet spot measure the resistance and juts pop in a resistor if i don't want the pot to have a knob
The gain pot is a variable resistor, so you can replace it with a fixed resistor, if that's what you decide to do. But it's in series with a 27k resistor, so it's easier to just add the measured value to 27k, then replace the 27k resistor with the sum and jumper the connections where the gain pot used to go.

The volume pot is a voltage divider, so unless you want it permanently dimed, you'll need two resistors to replace it.