test box using speaker terminals

vick
test box

not mine but I thought I would share I use screw terminals for my test box and just order some speaker terminals to convent. Seems like one of those things that would make testing just a tad bit easier.

Re: test box using speaker terminals

mirosol
Administrator
I've been planning to do a photo essay on constructing one. My current one with screw terminals is about to die, so i really need to do a new one at some point. I've had the tayda speaker terminals waiting since last spring...
+m
fyaelectronics.com

I just got my terminal yesterday and made up a new test box today

Re: test box using speaker terminals

mirosol
Administrator
Very nice indeed! Thanks for sharing.

For mine, i'm going to stick with 3PDT toggle switch as the box is just for desk use. Also i'm going to have DC jack so i can use batteries with an adapter. A short can drain your battery in ~10 seconds, so i'd want to to be able to swap in a new one quickly. This could also be handy if i decide i can afford a auto-fused lab supply at some point. Stereo jack to switch power off when there's no cable in input jack could be nice too. Other things i've been thinking about are extra switchable power filtering, input pulldown and polarity protection. Those could be nice additions for development purposes. I'd also mount the terminals to the side of the box for minimum needed wire lenght.

Let's just see when my screw terminal one fails. The screw heads are beginning to give up...
fyaelectronics.com

Re: test box using speaker terminals

mojo321
I built this last week and life is soooo much easier now.  Thanks.  What I like best is, I can get to try the effect out before I go to the trouble of boxing it all up.  I built three buffers and tried them all on this test box.  Now I know which one I'm gonna box.  (The Cornish).

Re: test box using speaker terminals

vick
If I had to do it again I would mount the speaker terminals on the side of the box.  This works but I think it would be more convenient with the speaker terminals mounted on the side.