trimpots FETs etc

motterpaul
I just tried to build the Katana Boost (Rev 2)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fWCDzxBusos/Uw4iGu_l1UI/AAAAAAAAGNg/-5bRd3gupmU/s1600/Keeley+Katana+Boost+Layout+Rev+2.png

The circuit has trimpots to adjust the FETs, I am using J201s.  As a nooBee, here is what I don't know. First of all (I had high hopes).

Here is what I don;t know about trimpots. Seems simple they are pots, but; (1) mine are numbered backwards, 3, 2, 1 from the top - but it shouldn't matter right? Because a pot is a pot in either direction. Or is this not right?

Now, I see the pots in the picture and it shows two pins to the left, one center in the rear, - this is OK, to orient them as in the picture, right?

Now - next, I have heard FETs are fragile. Should you remove them (socketed) when you are soldering? What if you have mistakes in your circuit you have to fix - is it VERY likely one of the FETS got fried? I do know this, I have some cheap trimpots and they will fry with just v. voltage (although I am using a 1-step power supply for multiple pedals. So, it may have some 1700 ma.

Anyway - this circuit is not working. I fried some trimpots, and I can't my better ones low enough (14 v.)  to make the Fets work right... any advice?

Re: trimpots FETs etc

Hey buddy. Let me try to answer your questions as best as I can.
1. As long as they are oriented the same as in the layout, you're good to go.
2. As far as the orientation goes, just like if you wire a pot backwards, ie lug 1 & 3 are switched, it will work backwards. Think about it this way, if you do that to a volume lot, instead of getting louder turning the pot clockwise, it will get quieter.
3. Yes, gets are fragile, just like transistors, if you're using sockets don't put them in until everything is all soldered. I don't put them in until I box the pedal, I'm very bad and don't test my circuits first.
4. In my experience the shouldn't fry that easily. The only time I fried one is when I was trying to use a a MOSFET in place of a transistor in an em drive, and it literally fried, I means smoke, and fire.

Don't give up on this one. Give over your circuit and make sure you don't have any bridges between tracks and that your cuts are good. A lot of times it's the stupid things that cause the issues.