troubleshooting buffer clone

moreisless
Hi I've been trying to complete my first diy pedal build with some issues. The pedal circuit is IvIark's JHS Little Black Buffer (link below)
JHS Little Black Buffer

So when I connect the power and cables it sounds as though it's clipping. The sound could be compared to an undesirable fuzz! Without the 9v applied it still clips slightly but not as bad. I have included pictures of my board and I will list voltages below.

DC Jack = 9.39v

Upper 100n cap: Top lead 82mv, Bottom lead .827v
Lower 100n cap: Top lead 0v, Bottom lead 9.39v
10uf polarized cap: top lead 1.4v, bottom lead 1.4v

TL072 pin voltages:

1. 1.4v      8. 9.39v
2. 1.4v      7. 4.8v
3. .814v    6. 4.8v
4. 0v         5. 4.36

Thans so much for any possible help!

Re: troubleshooting buffer clone

PEPPER!
Are the 100nf caps polarized tantalums? By the voltage reading it looks like that's the deal - try flipping that lower one or replacing it with one that's not polarized.

If that doesn't cut it run an xacto knife or something between the rails lightly to clear out any stray traces.

Re: troubleshooting buffer clone

Beaker
Agreed - they look like tantalums to me too. If they are, check polarity. These caps don't need to be polarised - you can happily use poly box, poly film, aor ceramic caps for this, and they are much cheaper.

Save your tantalums for the few builds that need them.

Re: troubleshooting buffer clone

moreisless
man! you guys nailed it on the head! I had no idea tantalums were polarized. I switched them out for ceramic and scraped the lines between the copper. Even though the lines appeared clear, in scraping them I got the pedal working! Thanks again