weird intermittent problem

Sensei Tim
I've got a pedal that is giving me problems and i'm kind of at a loss.  it's intermittent when it's at the owner's place, but i can't reproduce it.  He says it'll be fine for days and then starts acting up.  He's sent me video of it showing what's happening, so i know it's not a phantom issue ;)

the pedal is a rat and 27V clean boost that are mixed together with the split'n'blend circuit.

What happens is the rat side will sometimes cut out when you engage the pedal and will only come back when you crank the volume.  The 27V boost circuit seems to work fine.

all of the boards are secured with hot glue so nothing is moving.

I've tried wiggling all of the wires to see if it's something there but i don't hear any noise or indication of bad wiring/solder joints.

if it was the split'n'blend circuit, i don't think that the volume of the rat side should have an impact if things are cutting out?

Could it be a bad volume pot on the rat?