whining noise

balazs.bencs
Hey folks,

I have a strange problem, which occurred with a couple of builds of mine, and lately with the EQD Speaker Crancker (with BAT41 diodes). I built it, and everything works as it should, but the only problem is that I get a whining noise, like a whistle, but it is working fine and sounds like expected - just adds this whining thing on the top of the sound.

It is driving me nuts, I cannot figure out what is the root cause of this. This also happened with me with the Foxx Tone Machine - I built 4 of that, but one of them produced this whistle (and also worked like it should, if you don't count this noise).

I already built like 50 pedals, so I triple checked everything, cut between the rows, checked the components, etc.. So that's not the problem. I tried different transistors (I always put them into sockets, none of them are soldered to the board) and replace diodes, but nothing helped.

Do you guys have any idea what's causing this?

Re: whining noise

nocentelli
What are you using to power it? I usually use a fairly clean but cheap 9v dc adaptor (one spot type ripoff) but if I have a noisy pedal, I'll try it out with a battery which cannot inject hum/whine/AC type noise into the audio to rule it out.

Re: whining noise

balazs.bencs
I am using these RAAD regulated power supplies from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAAD-EURO-regulated-power-supply-DC-9V-adapter-guitar-effect-pedal-negative-tip-/171573999380?var=&hash=item27f29b7714:m:med4HpZH9LQGPGUda0SoKtg

Never had issues with them, these can run like 8-9 pedals plus a buffer easily.

Also.. there's no switches or anything like that, I soldered the input and output directly to the jacks to test the circuit.