1 Knob Noise Gate

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Skajaquada
Hi guys.  I tried the last layout in the thread, but wasn't getting any effect at all.  I looked at the second layout, and moved the ground leg of C3 up one row.  Now it's working TOO well...  Not only is it cutting out the noise, but it's also cutting most of the gain out.  I'm using bc549s with a bs170, and a b25k pot.  Any ideas?

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Skajaquada
*sigh* disregard this guys...  Apparently I'm an idiot, and I wasn't seeing an error I made on the board, even though I checked it about 20 times lol.

I got it working, the 3rd layout is great.  Thanks boratto!

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Willybomb
Registered just to post this:

Great layout and effect, works fantastically.  Used a 250kB pot for the purpose of testing.  Otherwise, bs170 and bc549s were used.

Thanks,
Willy.

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i'm leaving this here just in case someone needs this..i made a second layout cause i wanted it with trimpot and as small as possible so i can use it as a daughter board inside the animato that really has a problem...

Savvas

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Addy Bart
Thanks for sharing this layout. I'm sure it will come in handy at some point.
mug

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

mug
Hey Savvas,
nice idea to use it that way - my plan it to stick it in a 1590a, prob. with a 9mm pot.
Anyway - is there a specific reason why you left out the 100 µF from 9V to GND (C1)?

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
hi there! sorry for the late answer.
i drew this so you can put this in the same box with an other effect.i left out the 100uf cause i powered this daughter board from the main board that already had that cap. so for your project it would be a good idea to put this cap back in somewhere...
cheers
Savvas
mug

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

mug
That's what I was guessing - thanks!
I've build it in the mean time and it works really nice - threw in a B50K pot and its easy to dial in the right threshold.
Won't box it though since I found out how to avoid the noise issue I had without a gate (JamMan looper has its own PSU now) - but it might come in handy once!

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

motterpaul
I am now stumped. I built two or three of these that worked perfectly a year ago, but now I just tried to build two more in a row and both just suck tone.

The first ones sounded the same whether the box was on (and gate open) or off, but these newer ones have a huge volume drop when the gate is on but open.

Any suggestions? Is the ohmage of the pot super important? It says 1M, but to try 25k or 50k - that's a pretty big difference. I have tried 1m, 500k, 250k, and 50k and it doesn't really seem to make any difference.

I noticed originally the suggested BC170 trannys (i think) instead of 2n7000 - I used the latter. Does it matter?

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Sphere80
Flip them

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

motterpaul
Flip the transistors - different pinout?

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

motterpaul
Never mind,  I see it now. I will give it a try

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

doxasound
I just built two of these and I had to flip my transistors around for it to work... weird... I used a 2n7000 and BC549 transistors. After flipping the pinout this noisegate worked so well! Thanks so much! I put this inside an AT distortion clone and it silenced the thing without attenuating my volume too much! Thank you!

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

doxasound
Just realized the 10uf input cap is backwards!

Not sure how I got this working the first time I built it, unless I caught that cap, but never said anything haha

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

reggy1
I'm also a bit confused by the poloarity of c4 (10uF).

The layouts of boratto and chris60601 show the input going to -'ve of c4 and gate 1.

The schematic of chris60601 and Savas's layout shows the input going to +'ve of c4 and gate 1.

I also noticed that Storyboardist, on his excellent blog, has the input going to -'ve of the cap and gate 1 on both his schematic and layout.

Doxasound mentions that the 10uF cap is in backwards, but in which version? Boratto's and chris60601's layout, or chris60601's schematic and savas's layout?

Reg

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Shaggy45
i built this today from the third layout. i tried the 10uf in both orientations and it didn't seem to make a difference. i tried both bc107 and 2n7000. i had to swap the orientations of all the transistors for it to work. hope this helps

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Addy Bart
Has anyone tested the circuit using headphones? Got this on the breadboard, and there’s a noticeable clicking sound whenever the gate reopens.

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

motterpaul

I never noticed a pop or clicking when using it live.

On 2/26/2018 4:04 PM, Addy Bart [via Guitar FX Layouts] wrote:
Has anyone tested the circuit using headphones? Got this on the breadboard, and there’s a noticeable clicking sound whenever the gate reopens.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/1-Knob-Noise-Gate-tp16440p41919.html
To unsubscribe from 1 Knob Noise Gate, click here.
NAML

Re: 1 Knob Noise Gate

Addy Bart
Thanks motterpaul - I’ll try it through my amp next time.

I tried messing around with the cap values in the hope I could soften the switching but no joy. Guess a gate with an attack pot is what I need.
123