5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO

5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
This post was updated on .
Verified 04/13/2017 corrected input RF cap value to 150p

Inspired by mirosol's 5-knob compressor layout and Travis' 4-knob 13700 layout.

I've included the option to add either a Tone Control or a 3 position Jangle Switch.

There are a few connections that run through the board, I tried to color code the wires to make them easier to spot.

If using the Jangle Switch, the switch is drawn assuming the middle position of the DPDT on/on/on shorts lugs 1&2 and 5&6.  Middle position is stock position, up is full jangle, down is in between.

If you don't want a Tone control or Jangle switch, omit those wires and move the top of the 15k** resistor up one row.

For the 150kb pots, I used Zugenk Zz's brilliant suggestion and created two 150k pots: Get a 100k dual linear and a 50k dual linear and swap the bottom wafers. Wire together lugs 1a,2a,1b & 2b on each pot and connect lugs 3a and 3b to the board.  Tayda dual pots work perfectly for this.

The offboard wiring isn't as clean as I would have liked, but it fits in a 125b and works, so I guess its all good :0)

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst
MAO

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
Corrected input RF bypass cap value to 150p
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

SmokeAndBeers
How's it going?  First I'd like to thank you for going to the trouble of posting this layout.  I'm about to start working on this and I saw your note about converting the dual pots into 150k.  I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where you found that information.  I've googled things like that before and didn't really find what I was looking for.  I also checked the comments on the main page under the 5 knob compressor layout but didn't see that comment although I may have missed it.  For now I'm just using 100k since I don't have any dual 50k's on hand.  But I might order some on my next parts order since you posted that note. Thanks.
MAO

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
Thanks SmokeandBeers,

I don't believe there is a write up or guide on making the pots. I had read the following suggestion on the main site's Keeley 4 knob from Zugenk Zz3 dated February 2017 at 05:57

"Got an idea for makung a 150k pot. Take 2 stereo pots ( 100k and 50k ) open both and put off one of the carbon slice of each 100k and 50k, turn over both to their places. Then we got 2 pots of 150k, after we solder four pins and rest two pins.
1--2--3. 100k
4--5--6. 50k
Connect 2, 3, 5, 6.
How do you think ?"

I went ahead and tried it, takes less than 5 minutes and very easy to do.

Here was my follow up to Zugenk's post:

"Worked perfectly with the Tayda dual pots. No special tools or worries. Set the pots about midway, use a small flathead to pry up the 4 bottom tabs on each dual pot, remove and swap the bottom wafers, then tighten back the tabs with the flathead or needle nose. Done. Took about 3 minutes 1st time. Nothing flies apart or falls out."

I may have wired the pots slightly different than how he suggested, but works correctly like this - "Wire together lugs 1a,2a,1b & 2b on each pot and connect lugs 3a and 3b to the board"

I have a made a few of these using this layout, let me know if you need help once you give it a go.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

SmokeAndBeers
Wow thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I never even thought to check the 4 knob post haha.  I'll let you know how it turns out once I get moving on it.

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

TFletcher
I'm only seeing 39 cuts. Is there one missing where one of the wire routing holes are? I don't have a schematic so I'm just guessing. Thanks for the layout about to get started on it
MAO

Sorry, it's 34 "normal" red cuts, 8 "inner" wire routing holes (same size cuts as normal red cuts, but used for routing wires) and then 11 "outer" wire routing holes (left and right board edges)

Also, I don't see where you mention that output 2 goes to "the" output, which i'm assuming it does
MAO

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

MAO
Ouch, and you are correct.
Output 2 to output.

Everything is working great. Thanks for the layout. and the trick with the dual pots is gold. I'll be using that again. And thanks for all the quick replies. Let me know if i can ever return the favor
MAO

Cool, you just made my day.
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: 5 knob compressor - LM13700 version w/optional Tone control

thewool
MAO wrote
...connect lugs 3a and 3b to the board"
Hi there, thanks for this!

Always wanted a tone pot for my janglebox, rather than the switch. Hopefully this comes close to its sound.

I know its been a while but about to build it, just wanted to check, for the 2 modded 150k pots, where exactly do I connect 3a & 3b to the board?