60 Cycle Notch Filter!

rooo
Any thoughts on some sort of 60 Cycle notch filter to help reduce 60 cycle hum?

As a hardcore Tele player (and sometimes Les Paul w/ P90's), this could prove to be quite useful in certain situations.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

rooo
I have no idea, but perhaps something like this?

http://circuits.linear.com/34

Ideally, you could control the level of the 60hz with a pot or something so you could dip it just enough to hide the hum a bit. The one in the link seems to be fixed to reduce 60hz by -60db.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

rooo

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Madferret
I'd be up for being a bit of a Guinea pig with this too as I'm also a tele player and get pretty sick of the hum.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Madferret
Ok so after doing a couple of calculations and then trying awkwardly to get to grips with the Layout editor, here's what I think should be a notch filter for 60hz with an adjustable Q (width).  Whether or not it will do anything is another matter entirely, also I'm not very good with circuit design or op amp pinouts so there's every change this is a total pile of crap.  I'll build it tomorrow as it's a bit late now and let you know if it actually works.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Dave
Tssk, hum shmum, personally i think a bit of hum adds character.
Thanks
Dave

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

jaylow
This post was updated on .
Hello! I was actually going to request for a similar schematic to be drawn up.

I found this: http://members.shaw.ca/roma/nine.html

I was actually trying to build this but I've never taken a schematic and turned put it in stripboard form. I started working on it earlier but it's pretty challenging. Maybe you guys can take a crack at it?

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

jaylow
What kind of pot are you using? I'm sorry if you mentioned it and I missed it. It's pretty late.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Madferret
No sorry I hadn't put a value on it, to be honest I've sort of fudged this together from a bunch of ideas and forum threads so I can't remember actually thinking of a pot value.  I'd maybe go with something small like a 4k7 and go from there.  I'm going to test it today so I'll give you some feedback from that.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

jaylow
I know someone's already working on something, but I was wondering if someone could have a look at this too. It's my first try at going from schematic to stripboard and it just so happened to be a similar project. It would be nice to know if I was on the right track or if I was completely off.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Madferret
If you swap R2 and C4 then you'd be able to move half the cuts in column G left and half right and be able to save yourself a column and if you just straight connected the 10uf cap in parallel with the 100k resistor you could ditch the two long jumpers and put one between rows J & K to save yourself 2 columns. Other than that everything looks to be connected but obviously without looking at the original schematic (or better yet building it) I wouldn't know if it's right or wrong.  I'm sure some of the other guys on here would be better equipped to take a look at it.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

jaylow
Cool. Thanks for the tip! How's your build coming along? If yours is successful, I might just go with yours instead.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Madferret
So I'm actually kind of amazed but my circuit actually works, it's not perfect that's for sure but it definitely reduces hum. The main issue I'm getting is that it's distorting a little, like a kind of poor fuzz, I think the Opamp's being driven a little too hard and clipping slightly, actually it doesn't sound bad with another distortion stacked but I want to get it running clean. Also the pot probably isn't doing a right lot and at one point on the taper produces clock noise, it could be a bad pot.

I'm going to do a bit of research to see if I can find a simple way to reduce the signal to the op amp and sort the 'Q' dial out and post the results. If anyone has any ideas *cough*Mark & Miro*cough* it'd be really appreciated.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

jaylow
What about an internal trimpot to reduce the volume of the signal? Just lower it down to the point where the distortion goes away then close it up.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

Madferret
Not a bad idea, I'd also been looking at a couple of buffers that use a TL072 to see how they were fitting a clean signal so I've got a few things to try.

Re: 60 Cycle Notch Filter!

jaylow
How does your filter work? Any success?