9 Volt Power Station

DannyBoy
I am wanting to build a 9 volt power station to power all of the pedals that I am accumulating thanks to this site. I would like to build something like a voodoo lab or t-Rex fuel tank. Is this something that is possible?

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

bart
Check this tread: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Advice-Add-a-47r-resistor-on-every-9v-rail-tp7294.html;cid=1386350620154-270

Induction posted there his excellent idea and layout for a great power supply, which should power all your pedals easily.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

I designed a layout for something that may fit the bill, link. I designed it around a custom voodoo lab power brick I saw on eBay. It has 6 +9V out, 1 +18V out, and 1 -9V out.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

DannyBoy
Thank-you guys. Rocket88 that is exactly what I am looking for. Has this been build by you or anyone else?

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

DannyBoy
Thanks Bart. This and the one that Rocket88 posted below are exactly what I am wanting to build. I figured that it would be a super easy build, and I couldn't stand the idea of spending $200 on something I could build for $20 or $30.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

I haven't had a chance to build it, but it is breadboarded and works. induction helped me create the layout, and he knows his stuff, so if he said it's good to go then it really should be. It's my next build after I finish recreating a colorsound wow-fuzz that I have, that I recently built the layouts for.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

DannyBoy
Sounds great Rocket88. I'm going to order what I need right away.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

no prob man. if you get a chance to build it before me let me know if you have any problems or trouble so i can help you out/fix them.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

toddvirgil
Hey guys, so would this be considered an isolated supply? I thought the voodoo's were but I thought you had to have some sort of transformer to make it isolated?

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

induction
No. These aren't isolated. Each output shares ground. They are a similar design to the AMZ Power Supply.

I have had no problem with hum using these, even in pretty nasty emf conditions. My music room is just below my furnace/air conditioner, and my single coils hum like crazy. But my power supplies add no hum at all, even with daisy chains on several outputs.

If you need isolation, you can build a Spyder or something similar, but the cost increases quite a bit, and now you're messing with mains power. I don't feel comfortable providing advice over the internet about building something that can kill you.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

toddvirgil
Thanks induction -- just for the sake of my own education -- what makes a power supply isolated? Does it necessitate having mains come into the box? i.e. would there be any way to isolate grounds if the input power was a 12 or 18v adapter?

Thanks!

Todd

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

toddvirgil
Oh, and I appreciate you not trying to kill me, that's really thoughtful :) haha...

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

Isolated means not connected by a conductive pathway. Usually this is accomplished by a transformer or by an optical device (vactrol, led/ldr, fiber optic cables, etc.). For example, most wall-warts use a transformer to convert mains AC to lower voltage AC, then a diode rectifier to convert to 9 VDC (or whatever voltage). The ground of the mains power is not attached to the ground of the DC output because the transformer works by induction, not conduction. You end up with two leads that are held 9V apart, but neither is tied to any other voltage. So you can tie one end to ground and the other end becomes +9V. Or you can tie the other end to ground, and the first end becomes -9V. Or you can tie one end to +1,000,000 VDC, and the other end becomes +1,000,009 VDC (or +999,991 VDC if you reverse the leads).

This is why there are no ground loops when each pedal gets its own dedicated adapter. None of them have a conductive path to each other. It's also why you can use the same type of adapter for positive ground pedals as you use with negative ground pedals (as long as you route the leads correctly), but you can't daisy chain positive and negative ground pedals together.

The trouble with DIY-ing this, is that transformers work with AC, not DC. So you can't use the output of a cheap, unregulated, $2, +12 VDC wall-wart that you found on the ground as a source voltage. People generally use mains AC as a source, which is comparatively dangerous and expensive. I suppose you could use an adapter with lower voltage AC output. That would be less dangerous, but just as expensive, as you'd still need separate transformers for each isolated output, or one transformer with multiple secondaries, but with proper voltage conversion for your adapter (so the Weber mentioned by R.G. wouldn't work). You'll also need a separate rectifier for each output. This is all in addition to all the same caps, regulators, and charge pumps you'll use for the AMZ-type supply.

The design of such a multi-supply is slightly more complicated because the load on the separate chains can affect the source supply (an adapter is not a deep ocean of voltage like the mains are), so the supply voltage may change depending on the specs of your source adapter and how much current you draw. Not un-doable, certainly, but more engineering work involved. Of course, if you daisy chain your outputs, you get your ground loop back anyway. So if you have a big pedalboard and you want isolation, you'll need a separate output for each pedal.

So if you have problem with hum that's directly traceable to your power supply, you could consider the extra work or expense of DIY-ing an isolated power supply. Otherwise, it may not be worth the effort. Of course, at that point, the Harley Benton PSU that tjdracz linked to in the other thread starts to look very attractive.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i've build it without the 7660.
it's working fantastic, and i've powered 13 pedals all together for the first time in my life!
to be honest, i've only used it at home,with my small amp.didn't have time to test it in studio to see what's really going on with noise.

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

Re: 9 Volt Power Station

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
this is the one i drew and used by inductions layout. that was the one i've found first. i've started an open chat too about a problem i had, but now solved. it was a fault i had with the jacks chain i made..(look for : 9v supply problem)