Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

zosotone

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

zosotone
I've added a filter capacitor (100uf) to the board.

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Zanius
Looks nice!
I have to say, I wouldn't believe this is the way the volume pot works if it wasn't on the official schematic!

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

zosotone
Yes, I agree with you. It's a strange way to wire it.

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

notnews
what is the purpose of having both R7 = 470k AND the Volume potentiometer going in parallel to ground like that? Could it not be functionally equivocated to a particularly-chosen VR alone? If someone wouldn't mind cracking an egg of knowledge on me that would be appreciated..

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

The parallel resistor is just to alter the value of the pot without buying a different value pot. You can imagine that Gibson had plenty of 500K pots that they'd rather use before ordering new parts

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

zosotone
I add the layout with the charge pump on board.

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

zosotone
Verified the layout with the charge pump on board.

Sounds good! a lot of clarity and harmonics at the end of my pedal chain.

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7
Thanks for the layout!! I'm gonna build one soon, i'll let you know how it works!

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7
This post was updated on .
Hey so I haven't built it yet, but I drew another layout inspired by yours, but a bit smaller and with the exact power section described in Aion's schematics.

I've just verified it in a slightly modified version, a smaller one that I put in a 1590lb as an always on (no switch) effect. If anyone's interested I'll post a link to it to.

But meanwhile I can safely say this layout is verified :

Aion Electronics Ares

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7
So I moved a couple components, put C3 (22nf/47uf) directly on a switch, and fit it all in a 1590lb without a switch (always on)

Instead of using 22n/off/47uf for the tone switch, I used 22n/off/10n. 22n is quite bright, off is dark, and 10n is a nice middle ground.

Looks good! and how it's sounds for you?

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7
It sounds absolutely beautiful. Even better than my previous Madbean Fatpants (2012 version). Maybe the Idss and Vp values really make a difference. I don't think the output buffer would actually make a difference, but who knows... Anyways, I'm really happy with it, and the option between no cap/10nf/22nf works well for me, as I don't need a lot of output (47uf gives a LOT of volume)

Thanks for your layout, I wouldn't have made it without it! :)

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Melphick90
Hey Boba7 a little late on my end but would you mind posting your slightly smaller schematic? I’d like to build one exactly like yours as an always on small effect under my board. Thanks

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

ibanez48
What is the trimmer on your board? Is it a biasing trimmer It’s not on your layout above.

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7
Hey, the trimmer is a 100k that replaces the 22k pot, to bias properly the jfet. I think I set the drain to about 12v.

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7

There you go for the 1590lb layout!
Careful, it's quite tricky... :)

I used a 15n instead of a 47u on the switch, I like the possibilities of having no cap, 15n and 22n, don't need the full boost provided by the 47u.

Absolute legend!
Thanks I’ll post to let you know how I go!

So I’ve just built this but it didn’t turn out, after looking at your tag board layout and the photo you posted of your pedal it appears the tag board layout should be a mirror image of the pedal instead of an exact copy? I’m not 100% sure as I’m definitely not at your level but I was hoping you could take another look. Also the long jumper has to be moved to right one hole. On the bottom diagram. Thanks a bunch!

Re: Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation

Boba7
Sorry for the jumper! You’re right. Or just move the 60r, 100n and 100k to the right instead, it’ll work

The two boards on the layout are the same (sorry for the jumper) and you’re looking at it from the top, solderside down. That’s a convention with these layouts. So no mirror image.

Have you built pedals on veroboard before? If not this Aion in a 1590lb is really really complicated and I would not recommend it!!
Plus you have to get the right jfets and now they’re getting quite rare
Replacing the 22k on the left, next to the long jumper, with a 100k trimpot, as I did on my build, will make biasing easier

Good luck!

Le 10 sept. 2019 à 02:31, Melphick90 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> a écrit :

So I’ve just built this but it didn’t turn out, after looking at your tag board layout and the photo you posted of your pedal it appears the tag board layout should be a mirror image of the pedal instead of an exact copy? I’m not 100% sure as I’m definitely not at your level but I was hoping you could take another look. Also the long jumper has to be moved to right one hole. On the bottom diagram. Thanks a bunch!

To unsubscribe from Aion Electronics - Ares (Echoplex Preamp) vero and documentation, click here.
NAML
12