Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
Hey all. Been building my third pedal, got everything assembled, and there is some signal output, but it sounds very weak, and only really makes sound when the gain is turned almost all the way up. The clean blend knob works fine...but it's the clean knob. Not exactly sure what's happening. I've reflowed a lot of the solder joints and checked for bridges but so far am still having that issue.

Haven't measured transistor voltages yet but will get to it soon. Ignore leads poking out that I didn't trim

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

Marbles
Are you sure your cuts are ok here:

Your placement of components is hard to check for me tbh. If this vero works for you that's great ofcourse, but I would go crazy to not be able to see clear rows I can count and compare to the layout. Maybe that's just me, but I can imagine debugging for you and other people is a lot harder like this.

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

Have you used your continuity tester to check that your cuts are good?

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
I can double check those cuts. Sorry bout the layout tho, different type of vero that makes it extremely easy to solder but harder to see rows. It's easier to see in person. I can straighten the leads and send another picture to make it easier, I just had some bent to try and fit it in there

--
Samuel Mildenstein

On July 26, 2017 at 7:04:46 AM, Travis [via Guitar FX Layouts] ([hidden email]) wrote:

Have you used your continuity tester to check that your cuts are good?

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Algal-Bloom-v2-very-weak-signal-tp39240p39243.html
To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
I also may wind up scaling the rows with a knife. Though I was wondering if it could be a bad pot?

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

Right now my money is on a bridge or bad cut based on the pics. Haven't had time to look over the component/wire placement yet

The voltages could be very helpful at pinpointing the issue, let us know when you get those.

Keep persevering

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
Alrighty. I'll give it a go a little later then

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
K. Haven't done anything else yet, but here are the voltages. Refer to the schematic for transistor placement

Q1:

D:0v
S: 4.89v
G: 4.43v

Q2:

C: 6.93v
B: .5v
E: 0

Q3

C: .92v
B: .54v
E: 0

Q4

C: 6.7v
B: .6v
E: .05v

Q5

C: 9.43
B: 6.7
E: 6.07

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

Nice. This is why it's so good to have voltages.

You definitely have a problem at Q1. Q1 drain should be connected to 9V. Since you have the right voltage on Q5 collector which is connected to the same row, looks like you've got something wrong right at Q1. Check that placement, make sure you didn't forget to solder a pin

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
Doesn't appear to be faulty soldered. Everything seems connected. Could it be either a poor connect/faulty component next to it? Or perhaps the transistor is bad?

On July 26, 2017 at 8:11:47 PM, Travis [via Guitar FX Layouts] ([hidden email]) wrote:

Nice. This is why it's so good to have voltages.

You definitely have a problem at Q1. Q1 drain should be connected to 9V. Since you have the right voltage on Q5 collector which is connected to the same row, looks like you've got something wrong right at Q1. Check that placement, make sure you didn't forget to solder a pin

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Algal-Bloom-v2-very-weak-signal-tp39240p39259.html
To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

That doesn't make sense. Either you made a mistake checking the voltage or it's not connected to the right row

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
Well, are the potentiometers supposed to be set all the way clockwise/counterclockwise first before measuring voltage? Or should it not matter

On July 26, 2017 at 9:45:44 PM, Travis [via Guitar FX Layouts] ([hidden email]) wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Either you made a mistake checking the voltage or it's not connected to the right row

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Algal-Bloom-v2-very-weak-signal-tp39240p39261.html
To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

It won't matter in this case.

Take a look at the layout and see how the drain of Q1 is directly connected to 9V which is coming from the 10 ohm resistor. Doesn't matter if the FET is working or the wrong part or anything, if the drain is connected to 9V the pin should read 9V. Could be misplaced, bad solder joint, loose socket, etc

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
Alright. It's a bit later now I'll take a closer look tomorrow and perhaps remeasure

--
Samuel Mildenstein

On July 26, 2017 at 10:09:02 PM, Travis [via Guitar FX Layouts] ([hidden email]) wrote:

It won't matter in this case.

Take a look at the layout and see how the drain of Q1 is directly connected to 9V which is coming from the 10 ohm resistor. Doesn't matter if the FET is working or the wrong part or anything, if the drain is connected to 9V the pin should read 9V. Could be misplaced, bad solder joint, loose socket, etc

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Algal-Bloom-v2-very-weak-signal-tp39240p39263.html
To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

GrooveChampion
OK dude, I am not saying you forgot something but I've had the same issue with several pedals I've built. Latest one was the Skreddy P19. After breaking my head over what the heck was wrong I noticed I missed a cap. Soldered the right cap where it should be and bob's your uncle it works.

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
Hmm double checked pretty sure I'm not missing a cap. After re measuring it looked like stuff may have been working, plugged it in and now I've got nothing

--
Samuel Mildenstein

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Algal-Bloom-v2-very-weak-signal-tp39240p39265.html
To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML

To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

What have you done to check the Q1 drain? Just visually look at it or actually check it?

As I said before, either it isn't connected or you made a mistake measuring voltages, but I guarantee it won't work with 0V on Q1 drain...

Re: Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal

SammiBoiBuildsPedals
I re read the voltages and it looked like it was working, cuz the drain read the proper voltage, but when I tested it I didn't get any sound. Perhaps I miss read them. I'll remeasure again later today

--
Samuel Mildenstein

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Algal-Bloom-v2-very-weak-signal-tp39240p39275.html
To unsubscribe from Algal Bloom v2 - very weak signal, click here.
NAML
12