Amp Sim Question

cpsmusic
Hi Folks,

I'm a bit unclear about how to use Amp Sims for recording direct. Amp Sims are "just the amp", right? So that if I want to record a guitar or bass using a DI, I need to include a Cab Sim like the Condor after the Amp Sim or use a software plug-in cab IR.

Say I want to put  together a bass recording rig like the following:

- Mad Professor Blueberry (Bass Overdrive)
- EWS Bass Mid Control
- Baja Ampeg SVT Bass Amplifier or Fender Bassman 5F6 Preamp
- Multicab Sim or Condor
- Bo Hansen DI

Is that right?

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Amp Sim Question

GrooveChampion
If I am correct most amp sims are simply a pedal form of the preamp section of an amp.

Re: Amp Sim Question

Interesting question.  If you're recording into a device/computer which accepts a line level input (like the line input on a sound card), then most any pedal can be connected to it.  It may not sound great, but it will work.  Now, an amp sim pedal should sound like an amp with line level output, so you can pipe that into your recording device directly.  Adding an cab sim will make it sound better.  The main thing is that you have some DI, mixer, USB interface or other device to control the input signal level so that your recording DAW gets a robust signal without any unwanted distortion.

My recording rig currently has the following signal chain:

guitar --> effects --> amp (with line out from amp) --> Allen-Heath mixer (which provides signal conditioning) --> computer __> recording DAW software.

I can also plug microphones into the mixer for vocal recording, recording the amp speaker live, or recording acoustic guitars live (which should always be done with a mic in my opinion).  This works for me, but there are other paths (such as using a USB interface rather than a mixer).

BTW, my amp is a Roland Blues Cube Artist, which has a line out specifically for recording or sending to a PA for live use.

Hope this helps!

Re: Amp Sim Question

Well that depends. In most cases, like the ones I’ve been posting are indeed the conversion of the preamp section of tube amps into pedal form using FETs. The Baja ones I believe follow the same concept but use ICs instead. So, you’re idea of running other pedals into the preamp then into a cab sim, and DI to record. Conversely, you can run the same chain minus the cab sim, in front of power section of your amp and mic an actual cabinet.

Re: Amp Sim Question

Sensei Tim
Or you can forget about the cabsim and use an impulse response in your DAW.  There are quite a few decent (and free) IRs out there.