Ampeg sound in a box

Sergio
Hallo, I'm the search of the classic ampeg sound, 60's b15 70s svt, there are 4 pedals that I'm aiming at,

- Roger Mayer Wodoo Bass, (already done) sounds good, but I have nothing else to compare with, by the moment..

- Catalinbread SFT (that I'm working on it right now, almost finished)

- ROG Flipster, (2004)that is supposed to be based on a Portaflex or Flip top ampeg amp, an SB12

- ROG Ginger, (2011) that seems to be an improved Flipster with more an accurate Flip Top response than his predecessor.

But what I'd really like to know is the experience from the people that has built them, (or maybe some other fx that sounds ampeg alike) the kind of sound they are getting with, if it's aiming at a particular style, and how have they been used. In front of an amp, fx loop..
 Thank you!

Re: Ampeg sound in a box

johnk
I've built all four and they're al great. I think that the ginger does the SVT the best out of all of them and the Flipster does the B15 but you have to change the J201's to 2N5457's, BF245A's or MPF102's.

Re: Ampeg sound in a box

Sergio
Thank you John! I knew I could count on you with that amp alike trouble I'm in! I'm curious then, so the 2 ROG designs sound best to you? I've never played an Ampeg amp, so I don't have the real deal to compare with. So finally I'll be building all 4, first I thought that Ginger would be an upgrade over Flipster, but hearing your experience with the ROG's first design, and that old motown Curtis Mayfield is what I'm looking for, seems that Flipster with some little changes will do for me. Thanks a lot!

Re: Ampeg sound in a box

johnk
I drew up and built a flipster about a year ago, and it sounds great, but the vero was huge so today I drew up a new and much more compact smaller one. I haven't built the new one yet but I belive that it is correct.

Re: Ampeg sound in a box

Sergio
Thanks a lot, John! Great design, as always! I'm in debugging process with the SFT from Mike Livesley vero, got no sound out of it, (by the moment) but when I'll finish, Flipster will be my next build. Thank you!

Re: Ampeg sound in a box

gigimarga
Hello JohnK and thank you for all your work!

I built ROG Flipster using your layout and I found 2 errors (I hope that the image is enough clear):
1. a cut must be added between sources of Q2 and Q3
2. the first link (upper left corner) must begin one row above (from Ground row)

I built it using 4 pieces of J201 and sounds very good on guitar (I have no bass guitar right now).

Best regards,
Radu

Re: Ampeg sound in a box

j-pee