Another Parts Question....

wrigley242
Hello,

I recently moved to Toronto from the US and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for sourcing parts from Toronto/Ontario/Canada where it is as cheap as the US. (I know that is somewhat of a contradiction)

I like Mouser but other suppliers like Small Bear do not ship to Canada.   I mainly need something to compare to Mouser because sometimes their prices are high but they have a great inventory so I use them a lot.

Any help would be appreciated! It does not matter to me if it is a local store or online.

Cheers,

Mike

Re: Another Parts Question....

Surgeon
Hi there,

I'm in Quebec and never had problems having Smallbear ship parts to me. The only problem is the price of shipping which I tend to think is a bit high.

So far, my favorite supplier is Tayda. Ebay's a close second for sourcing parts. There are a few electronic places (electromike for instance) that have a lot of parts but tend to be pricy as well.

Still, if you want to stick with Smallbear, there shouldn't be any problem having them ship to you.

Re: Another Parts Question....

wrigley242
Hello,

Thanks for the quick response!  I have never tried Tayda but I hear good things.  I might have just missed the option to ship to Canada for Smallbear but I swear I looked...oh well.  Yes, I have been using Ebay alongside Mouser so I might have to check out Tayda too!

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Another Parts Question....

Vince
I use Tayda for all my pots and most caps, DC jacks, Toggle switches, never had a problem with them. All labeled and packed VERY well. I'm in the UK.

Re: Another Parts Question....

Ross
I use Tayda for DC jacks, switches, knobs, pots, some transistors (their JFET prices aren't that great), diodes, and oddball caps. Most of my multilayer caps come off eBay, and I refuse to use cheap electrolytics, so those come off Mouser. ICs are usually from eBay. I buy my vero and solder locally, as that's pretty much the only thing my local electronics store is good for.

Re: Another Parts Question....

Surgeon
Well, I created my account at smallbear and included a Canadian address. Everytime I place an order with that account, shipping is calculated automatically and there's no problem.

I just tested it again and it seems to work (although I did get a 25$ charge for shipping a pedal kit...nice).
This is the only reason I don't order from them anymore...shipping is kinda prohibitive.

Re: Another Parts Question....

wrigley242
Thanks everyone!

I see I have been missing out by not using Tayda.

Also, bummer on Smallbear's shipping costs.  I think they are actually located closer to me than Mouser!

Cheers