Any 500 series rack users here?

Anyone here got a 500 series API style rack in your studio?

I got a rack recently and I’ve been working on PCB designs for 500 series modules. Got some cool projects in the works.

Curious if anyone else here is interested in such things

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

Marbles
Hey Travis, sounds awesome!

To be honest.. not yet. But interested for sure. I'm slowly starting to dip my toes in hardware. Just starting with the insanely priced Klark Teknik stuff. I have been eying the 500 style stuff.

Would for sure be interested to see what you're up to!

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

Neil mcNasty
Yes please...

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

Hey Marbles and Neil

That Klark Teknik stuff seems like a great value

I built the CAPI 511 VPR rack kit which I’m really happy with. So far I built kits of the CAPI VP28, DIYRE EQP5, and Hairball FET/500

The project I’m working on now is a 500 series board for a modernized IC version of the Roger Mayer RM57 compressor/limiter. The RM57 is a FET compressor similar to the 1176 but it is unbalanced so much cheaper to build without I/O transformers. I have taken a modified version from a member of GroupDIY and unbalanced/balanced I/O with THAT ICs, added relay true bypass, and am now in the process of implementing the meter circuit.

My current plan is to adapt the meter circuit from the Hairball FET/500 to work with this project which I am calling the RM500.

For the faceplate, I am also going to copy Hairball again, at least for the prototypes. I saw Hairball have made faceplates with PCBs, which is a great idea because I can use Eagle to design the faceplate and get it manufactured cheap with printed labels/graphics and many precisely placed holes

I’ve got plans to do more things but want to focus on this RM500 project now since it is somewhat ambitious for me

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

Muadzin
I reckon this might be the thing that would get me back into building again.

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

Been super busy the past few weeks but I’d love to get a proto PCB done for the RM comp this weekend

In the meantime I’ve been playing with my existing builds and I’m just dying to get another CAPI VP28. Even with just a lowly SM57 in front of my amp, a few tweaks on the VP28 feels like it takes me from CCR to Black Flag.

I can’t wait to put together a whole song with this pre. I’m not an expert on pres but I highly recommend CAPI

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

HamishR
I wanted to build a Seventh Circle N72 preamp but by the time I worked out how much the kit would cost with shipping etc it was actually cheaper to buy it already built from a guy in California on Ebay!  So I have exactly one 500 series pre.  I got a single unit case for it so it's protected and it was altogether a very worthwhile investment.  I use it with an SM58 or a Royer 121 and it makes so much difference - now I can get a decent guitar sound.

I swear recording was easier when I had a Tascam 234.  No mixer to speak of - just an SM57/58 straight to tape and a great sound.  Recording digitally has meant a lot more expense just to get a usable tone.  And recording software still does my head in!

Re: Any 500 series rack users here?

balazs.bencs
yeah man! Absolutely!