Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

alphadog808
This post was updated on .
Hey guys,
  So I built a crunchbox clone, works fine, but I'm just not digging the tone; I guess it's not for me.  I did want to try and build a bsiab and a riot, was wondering if anyone had one that they wanted to trade?  I have not boxed the crunchbox, and would be willing to trade for veroboarded bsiab or or riot.

I have pics if interested and can put in different color leds or diodes if you want.  I personally think I like the green led and 1n4148 diode the best...

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

mojo321
I modified my crunchbox's tone control and I like it a bunch more now.  I built a big muff tone stack daughterboard.  I'll have to open it up to see how I connected it.  You want to try that?

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

alphadog808
Sure, if you don't mind; it's just sitting here collecting dust at the moment...

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

mojo321
Here you go.  Sorry for the slop.  My version is V2, and the layout you built is V1, so I had to kind of figure it out the differences, so I hope this works for you. It should.

1.  Jumper the 100R resistor.  You don't need it, but you do need a jumper in it's place.
2.  Use a 100k Lin tone pot instead of the 10k
3.  I show some of the wiring, but I didn't want to muddy up the drawing.  DON'T connect the tone 2 to output like it says.  I already show that wire going back to your board in purple (which then goes through the volume pot to the output).  The only wires I didn't draw are the three wires from the daughterboard to the tone pot.  (so lug 2 will have two wires on it)

Good luck.  The reason I didn't like the tone was the mids were too high.  I hate mids. So the BMP tonestack scoops them out.  There may be an easier way to mod the circuit to do this, but I am not bright enough to figure that out, so that's why I added the whole tonestack.

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

alphadog808
Hey thanks man!  BTW, I'm pretty sure I did a v2.  I did the one with the external contour knob as well.  Got any clips of this?  I actually do like mids, so I wonder if this might not sound better than what I have at the moment...or maybe I have this wired up wrong??

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

mojo321
Oh, that's what threw me off!  I didn't see the trimmer so I assumed it was V1.  So if you used V2 with external presence, then here's how you do it:

Crunchbox-BMP-tone-mod for V2

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

mojo321
By the way, you may like mids, but I doubt you like the amount of mids that thing throws at you.  You'll like the mod with a 6n or a 4n cap, I'd bet the farm.

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

alphadog808
Hey thanks man, I appreciate it!  Does this mod happen to add any gain?

Re: Anyone interested in trading a bsiab for a crunchbox clone?

mojo321
No, it's just a passive tone stack.  The crunchbox should drive it plenty though. Mine does.