BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

anders
Here is a verifed layout of BYOC's take of the old Maestro MFZ1. It has much more volume on tap and a bit more bass than the original.

Schematic

Re: BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

Sphere80
Thanks, Anders! I've not heard this one before. The original MFZ-1 enclosure is something else.

Re: BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

HamishR
I built this - thanks for a great layout.  Really cool fuzz.

Re: BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

Jaysharpwilliams
The schematic has nine resistors. This is layout is missing R7 the 4k7. Also, there's six capacitors on the schematic and this layout has seven, an extra 47U.

Re: BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

aelling
Jaysharpwilliams wrote
The schematic has nine resistors. This is layout is missing R7 the 4k7. Also, there's six capacitors on the schematic and this layout has seven, an extra 47U.
The 4k7 resistor is for the LED to indicate whether the effect is on or off. The 47µF cap is a power filter to filter out potential noise there might be, you don't have to install one.

Re: BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

Jaysharpwilliams
Oh, thanks for the incite! The switch is actually on the pcb, I see the build doc. now. I built Mark's version of the MFZ and was comparing it to this. There's 47U is on the Fuzzdog circuit but it's swapped for one of the 2.2U and that threw me off. Would swapping the 2.2U indicated have the same affect?

Re: BYOC Li'l Black Key Fuzz

BetterOffShred
It's just power filtering.  It goes between 9V and ground -usually there will be a low value resistor in series creating a low pass filter