Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

kdj432
has anybody successfully cloned this pedal?  I've seen one schematic but it has unknown capacitors and unknown transistors.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

not sure if we're going to see this one, it's really just a fuzzface that had the usual tweaks to get it to have that "hendrix sound," nothing really special about it.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

kdj432
I thought it was the fuzz half of the Octavio with a few tweaks.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

If you're talking about the new dunlop one it's the band of gypsies mini fuzzface, then it's a Si fuzzface with tweaks to the usual parts to alter the gain and tone. Nothing really special.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

adapt
i'm not sure this is true. i've opened one and there are way more parts than a standard fuzz face.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Really? If you get a chance take a pic. I know the new mini one they just came out with is a fuzzface, and I think it's based on the 90's band of gypsies fuzzface. This has my curiosity.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

adapt
i just opened it, 3 transistors and 8 capacitors, and god knows what on the other side of the board

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

kdj432
here's schematic someone did just from looking at images I was hoping to fill in the blanks like what transistors and what the missing capacitors were.  http://www.tdpri.com/forum/attachments/burnt-fingers-diy-effects/275435d1425606396-band-gypsies-fuzz-schematic-review-image-3067854490-jpg

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

induction
Yup, that looks an awful lot like this, with the octave section removed.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Stymie13
If anyone were inclined to draft a vero layout for this it would be greatly appreciated! I altered the Tychobrahe layout which gets pretty close but there are still some significant differences that make me curious. The missing values can be plucked from Storyboardist's work at the link below. I tried to upload the image but wasn't able.
http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017/08/dunlop-band-of-gypsys-fuzz-face.html

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

HamishR
You could try this.  I haven't tried it myself yet so it's unverified.  I think I will build this at some stage - it sounds quite interesting.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Stymie13
Thanks HamishR, I'll build it asap and report back.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

The schematic shows C5 shorted to ground.   I think you simply need to connect lug 1 of the fuzz pot to ground (the vero looks OK in this regard).

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

HamishR
I was wondering about that but the PCB shows Fuzz pin 1 attached to nothing so I left it unattached.  The cap shorting out I ignored!  I mainly followed the PCB and perf board layouts because people have built from those and the pedal has worked.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

Stymie13
HamishR, I studied your layout and the schematic closely before building it and it works fine. Positively VERIFIED. I didn't have any BC558s and used a 3906 with MPSA18s. It was little hot so I swapped to a 4402 and a pair of 3904s. Tried a 2N404A (130 Hfe) in Q1 which was cool and then a pair of MP38As in Q2 & Q3 with the 4402 in front. Its a cool circuit with loose, saturated lower register and bright, clear upper register notes. I love sludgy tones so this one's right up my alley. Thanks again for the layout!!!

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

HamishR
Wow - yay!  Thanks for testing it.  I'm about to build it myself now.  Here is a slightly updated version for anyone wanting to build it.  I just got rid of some cuts which didn't need to be there and changed the transistor info according to what I could find out.  So the original is fine - this one is a little more efficient.  :-)

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

HamishR
Built it today - just happened to have some BC560B and 2N3904 trannies.  I would probably suggest a C1K for gain if you're using a Strat.  I like this pedal - it's cool when goosing a mild OD too.  Very squishy and oozy.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

squirrels
Thanks for the layout, it worked great. I built one using a 2N3906 and a pair of 2N3904s. I used the C1k like Hamish suggested and am thinking of adding a pregain pot. I was also wondering if adding a bias pot to one of the transistors would be of any use for some Velcro type fuzz. This is mainly because I don’t want to buy any new enclosures right now and I have a box with Jimi painted on it that would be perfect for housing this one but it has four pot holes drilled in it. That and I thought my silicon Sunface sounded pretty cool with it.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

squirrels
I added a B1m pregain pot for a little more control, works perfectly. I didn’t bother with trying to add a bias control, I don’t think it’s necessary.

Re: Band of Gypsys Fuzz Face

squirrels
I swapped out the transistors for an MP21A (55ish) in Q1 and Amperex A104s (300ish) for Q2 and 3 and its a phenomenal fuzz.
12