Bass advice

Hi guys and gals

I’ve played guitar for 36 years now and for the first time in that time I really fancy getting a bass just to mess about with. It’ll be purely for bedroom gigs :) so I can learn a few bass riffs that I like. So just for a bit of fun and to try something new.

I really like the style of the Ibanez SRxxx basses and so that would be the look that I would go for with something like this. So I’ve been looking at the SR300E and SR370.

Does anyone own or has anyone used one of these? Pros & cons?

Is there anything else I should be looking at in a similar price bracket that is the same sort of style?

Let me know what you think

Cheers guys

Re: Bass advice

Ravenswerld
Hey Mark,
      I own one of those sdgr basses that was made in the 2000 or so. It is a 5 string fretless (sr505). The bass is great! It works great for me. I’m also not a bass player but I’ve had pro bass players look at it. They love it. For the money it’s hard to beat these basses. One thing I have read is people upgrading the p/u’s. That’s really the only bad reviews I’ve read. That the p/u’s aren’t that great. Geeez for the money what do people expect! Anyways, have fun in your search...good day:)

Re: Bass advice

Ciaran Haslett
Yes lad!

I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz for work last year (music/performing arts college) and it's a great player.  Solid, reliable and sounds really good.  It has a narrow profile neck that suits my small hands and can cover a wide range of genres.  Admittedly, it's not much to look at but I'm more of a classics kinda guy.

This might sound pointless but I have a mate who owned an Ibanez bass that looked very similar to the SR range.  I can't remember the exact model sorry.  He dropped it into me for a setup when he got it and I remember thinking..."This bass feels awkward to sit down and play with"  I think it had to do with the overall width of the body combined with the bottom thigh cut???  I just remember having to constantly shift the thing on my leg when playing.  A stupid criticism I know but one that sticks in my head

As for the squier...nice big lump of wood that doesn't budge lol

Re: Bass advice

One of the resident site bassists checking in. I can give my oppionion as well as others here, but in all honesty it comes down to what you like, what feels good in your hands, and how much you're willing to spend.

I've played both basses, and really hated them. Feels cheap to me, didn't like the neck, the sound was bleh, the look, all of it. I looked up to see what these go for, and on my end of the pond they you can pick either up between $300-$400USD. For that amount of scratch you can pick up a lot of stuff, especially if you're willing to go the used route. For instance, you can grab a nice used fender Mexican jazz or p bass with money left over to change pickups to something really nice if you're not happy with the stock tone, personally I'd go jazz for the slimmer neck, more comfortable body, and versatility in tone. You could grab an epiphone thunderbird, classic rock tone, has a baseball bat neck, which i actually find fairly comfortable even though i have small fingers. Used Yamaha basses can be really nice, usually very fast necks, can be a little more than $400 but definitely worth it. I had a 5 string for a long time till i replaced it with my G&L 5000, so i gave it to my little brother who loves it to death. Personally i think the best deal in guitars and basses are the G&L tribute series, cause it's all the same American components, but assembled in indonesia and limited color choices. Can usually grab them for around the $400 mark, but may be more expensive. Honestly they rival the American fenders in tone and feel.

There's so much available so i would try whatever you can out and find something you like and go for it.

Re: Bass advice

Pavlos
I agree with Zach about trying Yamaha, though depending on how important the visuals are I'd say that the most important thing is to try as many basses as you can and see what feels comfortable to you, you might be surprised at what you do, and don't like, it's a whole other world fumbling down the bottom end!!

Even if it migght not be quite the visuals you are looking for I'd second everything said about Squires and Mexican Fenders. Apart from the obviously classic looks that never really go out of style (Fashion tips from me, jeez! keep on laughing) they're decent build quality, good value for money (Especially second hand) they sound pretty good stock, and are well worth fitting better quality pickups if you feel the need to.

Not only that, but they have been used by so many different people in so many different styles that there isn't much that the Precision and especially the Jazz (With the extra bridge pickup) can't handle. Just like the good ole Strat, Tele, Les Paul etc, they are classics for a very good reason.

I'm sure we all look forward to hearing what you end up with and how you get on

Re: Bass advice

Thanks for all the advice guys.  I think I really need to go in a shop and try a few out, even though I'll feel like a dick because I can't play it so will end up playing guitar riffs

And I'm more than happy to go with a used one as well, so that's a definite possibility.  I'll try and get in a shop this weekend so I can sit with a few of them and see what I think.

I'll report back

Re: Bass advice

One thing to keep in mind, between notes you'll have a larger stretch then you do with guitar, duh, but I'm saying this because you want to make sure the neck is confortable for your hands and you can make the stretch easily. I'm pretty sure I've posted pics of all my gear, but there's a big reason why I have so many G&L's besides the history & tone from them, they fit my hands perfectly. I can literally look at any G&L bass and know how it will feel, and know it's going to play great for me. That's why I was able to score a massive deal on the L-5000 i have, $450, which is 1 of 400 made. I didn't have to think, i knew. Fender on the other hand changes neck profiles like people change their underwear, like ever single day. I've literally sat in a shop and played 8-10 fender jazz basses all the same year production and not one neck profile was the same or comfortable, which is why i built one.

I'm sure guitars are the same way for you guys that are guitarists. I mean i notice it between guitars too,  but i notice it more with basses cause it's a fucking massive lump in your hand that you're trying to move around.

Also, get something that's comfortable, especially if you're going to be playing standing with a strap. I prefer basses that are +10lbs, which most people find back breaking, but for me it's fine. Ignore the people that say you need x weight for it to sound good, or y pickups. Electronics can be changed stupid easy, cheap hardware can be replaced with good stuff, and really make a massive difference. But, if you can't hold it long or move around well on it, then it's going to sound like shit and be a waste of money.

Re: Bass advice

Highsmith
Well, in California for $750-$800 usd you could buy yourself a used 'industry standard' USA Fender Jazz or Precision bass.

Or, you could get a German Warwick Corvette, which may be an objectively better instrument for the same price.

 I would contribute to an IvIark bass kickstarter or equivalent!

Re: Bass advice

Marbles
Oh yeah, for sure! He saved me a lot of money, why not :)

I played an Epi Thunderbird for a while too, but for me, the sound was too thin. Plus standing was kind of uncomfortable since it was very top-heavy. But I'm talking 10 years ago, maybe they've changed.

From my experience the Mex Fenders and Squiers feel more quality then Epiphone back then

Re: Bass advice

Sensei Tim
IvIark I was in the same boat as you about 18 months ago.

I ended up getting a Warwick rockbass corvette double buck. Love it!

I tried the epi thunderbird and while my eyes loved it, my ears didn’t.  It sounded very flat and uninspiring.

I’ve akso heard really good things about the squire vintage moderns.

Re: Bass advice

Silver Blues
I'm another of the resident bassists here although I guess I don't have much more to add that hasn't been said... The Yamaha TRBX304 are really nice basses for the money I find, or the BB234, which can be had for $470 CAD give or take, where I live. Squier CV or VM are good choices if you want something a bit more classic. My personal thing is taking cheap/pawn shop basses and doing stuff to them, I made a pretty sweet instrument out of a 5-string Samick Stingray clone and some inexpensive electronics upgrades which is a lot of fun.