Better Capacitors

peavey_xxl
When I first started building a few months ago I bought an assortment from Tayda.  Now I would like to start investing in some better capacitors.  I have a panasonic kit that I purchased from Ebay from a guy but it is almost gone.  I have seen some guys using MKT capacitors and wima caps.  Where is the best place to purchase these online?

Re: Better Capacitors

You can still get box cap kits from some suppliers but they can be awkward in these builds because unless you're lucky enough to buy them with the longer leads, you're very limited by pitch.  I'd just get some more Panasonic's if I were you.  They're really close tolerances, consistent and the long leads mean they can be used anywhere.

Re: Better Capacitors

Madferret
+1 for Panasonics, but if you want polyboxes with the long leads you can order them from RS Components. They're not quite as cheap as Tayda but I think they work out at around 9p each if you buy them in 50s. I've bought a few packs and they really come in handy when you need the compact size but also need the long leads. Now I just need to find some multilayer ceramics with long leads, all mine are really stubby.

Re: Better Capacitors

peavey_xxl
after some research earlier I think you are right Mark to stick with the Panasonics.  It is nice to have the longer leads.  The only downside is some places seem to carry the higher voltage ones which are very bulky.

Re: Better Capacitors

ichilton
Where do people get the Panasonic's from?

peavey_xxl - do you have the ebay item number of the kit you bought?

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Better Capacitors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polyeste-capacitors-102-1000pf-1UF-63v-180pcs-/360624882883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f6eb04c3

Or you can get individual values from the same seller if you want more in popular values.

Re: Better Capacitors

ichilton
Cool, thanks!

Are those actually Panasonic branded, or just copies of the same thing? - that's not mentioned in the auction.

Re: Better Capacitors

GoranP

Mark, are these the same as greenies?

Re: Better Capacitors

peavey_xxl
The kit I bought on ebay was a digikiey kit that someone acquired from an estate auction.

Re: Better Capacitors

They're authentic Panasonic's I've bought from him several times now.  The greenies are mylar which is more or less the same thing, but in larger values the greenies get quite big and the pitch increases, the Panasonic stay 5mm throughout the range and only really the 1uF is noticeably fatter.

Re: Better Capacitors

ichilton
So do you use those for the common values - 100nF, 220nF etc, and then sub in greenies or polybox for odder values like 3.9nf, 27nf, 390nf etc?

Re: Better Capacitors

I always look out for Panasonics at good prices on eBay and have stocked up on:

1nF
2.2nF
2.7nF
3.3nF
4.7nF
5.6nF
6.8nF
8.2nF
0.01µF
0.015µF
0.022µF
0.033µF
0.047µF
0.068µF
0.082µF
0.1µF
0.15µF
0.22µF
0.33µF
0.47µF
0.68µF
1µF

but yes any other more unusual values I have greenies and box caps for, but the vast majority of builds I can do all Panasonic (combination of ECQ-B, ECQ-V and ECQ-P).

Re: Better Capacitors

ichilton
Interesting! - do you have any other good sources/auctions/sellers for ECQ-B, ECQ-V and ECQ-P?

There doesn't seem to be many around when i've searched for them.....

Re: Better Capacitors

No, only the one I posted.  The others have just been random sellers with one off lots rather than someone selling them continuously.  I think bigsmythe74 had some Panasonics last time I was getting some Dale resistors.

Re: Better Capacitors

ichilton
Ahh, ok - so you just do a quick search every now and again?

Re: Better Capacitors

alltrax74
In term of quality which kind of 1nf-1µf cap would you recommend ?
I usually buy polyester film box but maybe there is better ?
Thanks

Re: Better Capacitors

ichilton
What kind of unit price do you work on being a good price?

Less than 10p each?