Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

doomritual
So I put together this circuit based upon the 1 knob fuzz schematic.  I am getting a buzz from the pedal. Like it is not grounded, but the multimeter test works out. The circuit seems to be doing what it is designed to do save fore the buzzing when I'm not playing.

I am a novice when it comes to jargen and the like though I have put together my fair share of pedals in the past, usually from prefab kits.

I am hoping I did this correct based upon the layout diagram. Out of the components I used the only one I am not sure of is the 220uf, I though I had purchased the correct cap but I did not so in order to complete this I cannibalized what I am assuming is a 220uf Cap. The markings on the blue cap say 224R, I am not sure if this has polarity, though there are no markings for polarity.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

Beaker
I think you have your units mixed up - you are asking if the cap is 220uF (micro Farad), but the Coloursound layout shows a 220nF (nano Farad).

If you actually mean you need a 220nF, then yes 224 is a 220nF cap.

Your photos are not very clear, so it is a little difficult to see if you have a mistake on your board.
Check for placement errors, and make sure you have no solder bridges on the solder side. (Run a knife between the tracks to make sure.)

Buzzing is usually caused by a ground error somewhere. Make sure your circuit is grounded correctly.

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i'll repost my comment from this topic

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/DAM-Meathead-Silent-tp24521.html

"hi mate. you've made a common mistake.
you've mirrored the layout.
when you see those cuts and links on a layout, you must know that those are from the components side.(up-side). so you have to mark cuts and links at the up side, drill those cuts from the up side to the back side and then clean the cuts at the copper side with a bigger drill or with a razor-knife.
for now try to turn 180 degrees your transistors.i hope you've used sockets for those.
also read this"

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.gr/2012/04/vero-build-guide.html

one more thing. this is a 220nf cap on the layout.not a 220uf. and i've never seen anything like 224R on caps.

hope i helped.
good luck!

Savvas

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

Silver Blues
"224R" is a really common marking scheme, especially on film capacitors. The "R" is a tolerance value (although I can't say I've seen R used before), and the other three numbers are kind of like the resistor code (value with a multiplier):

So 224 would be 220nF, 223 would be 22nF, 222 would be 2.2nF, 221 would be 220pF, etc.

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

doomritual
Thank you guys......yeah it looks like I placed everything backwards

Yeah I meant 220nf. I am just working in uf at .22uf for the cap so I got the two mixed up after converting. If you didn't notice, I'm a noob, lol.

At any rate.....so I am bass ackwards. I'll probably just do another board I have everything I need for another circuit like this. And it was a relatively quick build. Plus I think I'll run down to Radio Shack and get some sockets for the transistors, it will make the next one so much easier.

Thank you all for your time and quick responses.

CHEERS!

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

doomritual
Okay I have since redone the entire board so that the components are all going the correct way. To no avail. It sounds the same.........buzzy etc. The buzz is so bad when you turn up the volume that you can hear it slightly over the effect when playing......if I turn down my guitar volume it is over the top.

The sad thing is that the sound of the pedal is there and it sounds bad ass!  I just wish I could get rid of this buzz so that it is useable.

So that 220nf cap..........does that have anything to do with the ground? If so, that is the component I cannibalized from that volume/wah pedal. Maybe it is bad or not the correct type of cap.  At any rate, just to be safe, I ordered a few of them and am awaiting their arrival and I will install it once it get's to me.

Can anyone confirm if that is part of the ground? Or is that a dumb question?

Thank you.

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

squirrels
I had the same problem building a Ritual, extremely noisy. I built the Meathead Dark with the same layout, worked perfectly with no extra noise. I preferred the Fuzzbud over both actually.

Re: Black Art Toneworks Ritual Buzz not Fuzz

doomritual
I'll have to check out the fuzzbud.

In looking at the tagboardeffects 1 knob layouts. There is that 47pF cap(?) that is unique to all the versions. I wonder if that has anything to do with buffering that noise.

Perhaps I'll give the DAM Meathead a go.

Anyone else have issues with the BAT Ritual Fuzz version of this?