Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

notnews
Hey Guys

Has anyone else here ever played with a DC2? The modulation/chorus settings on this pedal are amazing. There doesn't exist any stripboard layout for this effect yet, but I am aware of PCB layouts for it... that are supposedly verified, by a few different people. Here's one site with layouts, schematics, and build notes:

http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ18BossDC2.html

Anyone interested in getting a group PCB order going?

That is, unless someone wants to try to make a layout for this guy. I just figured it would be too complicated and time-consuming to do on vero.

Best,
Alex

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

iggy
I think that would be a monster to make up a vero for. You're probably best with the PCB.
Watch Alex have it tomorrow. Dude's brain scares me.

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

Even if Alex draws it for stripboard, no way I'm building such a beast

This is a great pedal. I'm in for one or two PCBs if this goes down

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

notnews
I may be crazy enough to try the DC2 on vero should it pop up...

there are people even crazier than that. I have the ProphecySound Inphitiphase circuit layout on vero... for anyone unfamiliar it's a MONSTER phaser... more than a dozen knobs and a bunch of jacks. I don't know if I could ever jump down that rabbit hole, it's a great phaser but there are smaller builds that get my phaser needs met. The DC2 is fantastic, I may take the leap for that one.

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

Lol after I built Mark's Mutron Phasor II layout I kinda decided any money saved from building on stripboard vs PCB for an effect that size is not worth my time. Don't get me wrong, Mark's layout is awesome and much appreciated, but I'd probably have the whole PCB done by the time I do all the cuts and links on the stripboard. And then there's the huge chance of me making some bonehead mistakes while doing over 100 cuts, etc

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

Muadzin
notnews wrote
I may be crazy enough to try the DC2 on vero should it pop up...

there are people even crazier than that. I have the ProphecySound Inphitiphase circuit layout on vero... for anyone unfamiliar it's a MONSTER phaser... more than a dozen knobs and a bunch of jacks. I don't know if I could ever jump down that rabbit hole, it's a great phaser but there are smaller builds that get my phaser needs met. The DC2 is fantastic, I may take the leap for that one.
Too much knobs for my taste. I'm a rate only kind of guy. Does a musician really need that much control once they dial in a setting that they like. It's cool if you got preset capability and can switch from one sound to another with a single stomp, but having to reset a dozen knobs and switches between songs, too much pain in the ass.

By the way, to get back on topic, Aion from Aionelectronics has announced he's busy designing a DIY pcb for the DC-2, to be released in 2 months time. So maybe we should wait for that one instead?

Where can you get pcb's made in the UK?  Is the cost prohibitive?  I guess if you make enough the cost comes down quite a lot.

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

notnews
Maudzin, you're right... I just checked Aion's website and he mentioned designing a DC2 clone to be released in the next month or two. Great news.. that's something I'll definitely keep an eye out on.

Regarding getting PCBs made up, OSHpark seems to be a favorite on DIY forums. With that site, if someone has already had the PCB made up and uploaded it to their website, then OSHpark doesn't charge you an initial mfg cost... you just search their shared projects directory for the PCB you're looking for and buy it right there. If you're looking for them to make something new for you, it will cost a bit more but it's not totally cost prohibitive. Depending on how many sides you want made up (one sided PCB, 2-sided, etc..), it can likely come in around 10/15 bucks or so.

Check out the OSHpark website: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects

If you can find what you're looking for on the 1,500+ pages of projects there, it'll be cheaper than having something new made up, but not crazily much more.

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

tabbycat
am with travis on pcb before vero, unless it's a pretty small build. there are so many big vero layouts that pcbs don't exist for that it seems a misdirection of valuable building time to go head-to-head vero v pcb on something major. masochistic even. unless you enjoy the challenge.

as to boss choruses in general, i have never got on with them. give me electroharmonix every time, hiss and everything. to me the boss chorus sound characterises everything i couldn't stand about the fake-tan habitat chipboard furniture style-over-substance 80s.

it also reminds me of that signature wobbly wavering soulless noise all over early smiths records that makes you want to throw up. but enough about morrissey...

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

Heath
I went on a quest for this pedal a while back.  Just not feeling $250+ for it.  I did end up snagging a Behringer Space Chorus-C that sounds surprisingly good:

But, yeah, I'd definitely build a DC2 on pcb.

Tabby,

I love my EHX Chorus but the BOSS CE-2 is a just consistently great chorus imho.

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

tabbycat
iggy wrote
Watch Alex have it tomorrow. Dude's brain scares me.
i know exactly what you mean. he's like a cuttlefish among goldfish. next level shit.

Re: Boss DC2 - anyone interested in ordering PCB/s with me?

Muadzin
I like the 80. It was the last decade where musicians were forward looking to try out new things before it was all about vintage being so staunchly backwards looking they make Republicans look progressive by comparison. The days when digital was a plus, not a curse word. Sure the fashion looked ridiculous, but except for the 50's the fashion of every past decade looks like shit. In 10 years time what we wear today will look ridiculous too.

$250 for a used DC-2? I was lucky to get one for around €100. For that price I felt I had to get it. Unfortunately for that kind of money I also feel hesitant to rip the rubber off underneath it and replace it with velcro for use on my pedalboard. Another reason why I wouldn't mind having a good PCB instead.