Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

analog_memories
My first post, please be gentle.

This pedal is special to me since it was used by my favorite band in the 1990's, Hum.  I have the schematic and it is a beast.  It has a fundamental note detector, envelop generator, voltage regulator, LFO and logic for using the foot switch as both a way to turn off and on the distortion, but also to kick in the feedback effect momentary.  I was thinking it would be cool for a two button version, one latching one momentary.

Anyways, has anyone thought about building this?  Or maybe something similar?

Thanks

Re: Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

This is a really cool pedal that kinda flies under the radar. I'm really not sure how vero friendly this is gonna be though. Do you have a schematic?

Re: Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

heuermh
If the schematic is modular, it might be interesting to pull some of it apart; I wouldn't necessarily want the distortion or tone controls, but having the feedbacker would be cool.

You know when one video leads to another and suddenly you find yourself looking at cool enclosures for sale from some DIY guitar effects store in Russia?  Yeah that happened.
http://smb-effects.ru/?mode=folder&folder_id=562515601

(the link is their sustainer, http://smb-effects.ru/feedbacker_sustainer_su_2)

Yes, I have the schematic. Here is the schematic

Re: Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

analog_memories
I was thinking about pulling it apart.  From what I can see is it is a DS-1 with this feature added.  It would be cool to see what it would sound like with other fuzz, OD, or distortion pedals in front of the feedback.

What do you guys think about asking about having just the feedback module as a build request?

Re: Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

Sergio
That would be great, if the feedbacker part could be isolated this would make a great addition to some distortion/ fuzzes!

Re: Boss DF-2 super distortion and feedbacker

heuermh
Agree!

So I can understand this conceptually (because I don't really understand schematics yet, and because I also like to write effects in software), there is a detector which determines the frequency of the input, that frequency is used to drive an oscillator (does it do both sin and square waves?), and an envelope generator determines how slow the oscillator volume ramps up.  Looks like there's an LFO, to modulate the oscillator frequency?  Then I would assume there's a filter, a mixer, and then the distortion.  Perhaps also a boost on the front end.