Brken wah and discontinued zy15 diode

Neur0
Hello everybody,

My diy experience is very limited since I became addicted only a few months ago :)
But I would like to ask for some help concerning a problem a friend of mine has. The picture I added is the board of a "George Dennis Wah-Wah switch v2" from 1995. The burnt out resistor is easy to spot, it burns out after a while when replaced. I have not tested this yet because I wanted to study things first. I found that the diode you see there measures <10k Ohms both ways and 0.566V anode to cathode and 0.670V cathode to anode. If I'm not mistaken then this means the diode is fried.
The diode follows a direct path to the burnt out resistor, so I guess my first question is, did I find the culprit?
If so, then my other question would be, what could I replace it with since the py-15 is discontinued.

Any help and/or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Brken wah and discontinued zy15 diode

tjdracz
You can still get ZY15 on ebay

Cheaper option, just get 15V Zener diode. Something like that should do http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=140_147_149&products_id=978

With the resistor burning out, is it a small value one? There might be too much current going through it and thus why it's burning.  If that's the case, replace it with one of higher power rating, 1W or so

Re: Brken wah and discontinued zy15 diode

Neur0
Thanks for the info.
I've ordered 20pcs zy15's on ebay so I'll have to wait for them.
I don't know the value of the resistor, I've not taken it out yet to see if I can still read the bands. All I can tell is that is starts with 6 :) I can't measure watts with my Klein Tools MM200, so I'll probably go for a higher wattage anyhoo.
Anyway, I'll post here when it's (hopefully) all sorted.

Remy

*edited*

Re: Brken wah and discontinued zy15 diode

Silver Blues
I don't think you can measure the wattage rating of a resistor/diode/etc. with any multimeter. That particular one looks like a 1W carbon film. If it were my pedal I'd go for a 1 or 2W metal oxide resistor (if you can find it) as they'll resist burning better.

Re: Brken wah and discontinued zy15 diode

negativefx
To answer your first question:  If the diode is throwing voltage in both directions, it is fried.  Is it causing the resistor to blow? Is the resistor causing the diode to blow? Who knows... maybe there's too much current in the circuit and both the resistor and the diode are symptoms rather than causes.

Is the power supply for the pedal the correct one?  If it's meant to be used on 9V and you're running 18V, that could be a problem.