Catalinbread Formula 5 with Baxandall Tone Stack

MAO

Catalinbread Formula 5 with Baxandall Tone Stack

MAO
Wasn't crazy about the treble cut tone control on the original, so I replaced it with a Baxandall tone stack.

I went with tone stack values from the Ampeg Portoflex.

This allows the following MIDs scoop and hump, and everything in between the two.  Both controls at noon gives a flat response.

The 2 tone controls do eat up some gain, but there is plenty left.

I also added polarity protection, an input pull down resistor and some additional power supply filtering. For the original supply, replace D1 and 10R with jumpers. Change the 100uf to 47uf and omit the 1M pull down resistor.

I can't say this layout is verified, as I built a Frankenstein version. But it should be good to go.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Catalinbread Formula 5 with Baxandall Tone Stack

velouriafx
Nice! I want to test this. I built an original with lower input and charge pump. It was nice too. I believe that with this tone stack, I can regulate the minimum gain more easily and without having to decrease the input.
MAO

Re: Catalinbread Formula 5 with Baxandall Tone Stack

MAO
Thank you,

 You'll probably still need to roll back your guitar's volume control to clean it up though , just like a cranked Tweed :0)

The entire gain range sounds good to me though, and the treb and bass controls are much more useful.

1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst

Re: Catalinbread Formula 5 with Baxandall Tone Stack

velouriafx
Of course, my guitar never saw volume 8 up. But when it is for sale, it is always good to give a controlled on it to increase the options of those who use the guitar always at maximum volume.

Re: Catalinbread Formula 5 with Baxandall Tone Stack

Boba7
Hey that looks great! Nice work. Do you have some schematics available? Has it been verified?
Thanks!! :)