Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

j-pee
This post was updated on .
edit: the whole thing -- to make this post -- came up as I wanted to make this small enough to be put into a bass guitar's body...
not realizing that this is not an onboard preamp... :) :)
as it doesn't have a buffer section :)
today I just looked at the 47pF capacitor going to the ground, and started thinking but where is the resistor that usually would be there, too.. to make the input impedance high enough ...
then I understood why everybody was putting this into a pedal :)
cause the pickups' signal will NOT go into this...
so, please excuse me for this almost completely unnecessary post :)
why it is worth keeping it is because it lists (absolutely) useful links...
and displays the schematic, too

- - - - - - - - the original post:

hi,

the reason for this post is twofold...
first, I am in the making of a Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso instance, it is resting in my kitchen as we speak :)

I was building it following the layout by Mark at tagboardeffects.blogspot.com...
but ran into leg distance problems... so much so that I got stuck, Saturday night 1 AM :)
first the 47pF was too tiny, couldn't span all that distance it was supposed to, next the 470uF and the 10uF guys
couldn't be laid down.. which I really hoped for, I ordered lying caps with that in mind (axial ones)...

so, I drew another version.. and, as a matter of fact, two...
I'll call them FLAT.. FLAT-A, and FLAT-B...
and I'll call Mark's version the ORIGinal...

so, purpose no. 1 of this post: sharing + 2 layouts of this circuit...
and the schematic, which was not so easy to find, when I was trying...

and purpose no. 2 is to summarize the info, knowledge, conversations,
and to share the links to them...
including the schematics, and Mark's ORIGINAL layout...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

so... here is the schematic by Edwin Thoen and Silent Fly // LINK

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and here's the ORIGINAL layout by Mark // LINK

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

and... here are the links:

  • the ORIGINAL layout by Mark at tagboradeffects at blogspot.com...
    https://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2013/01/catalinbread-sagrado-poblano-picoso.html
    there is a very rich discussion below the post! definitely must read

    of which I'd like to highlight John Kallas's comment @ 22 May 2013 at 09:26
    just built this one today and it sounds great. as some of you may know, this circuit is actually Jack Orman's AMZ mosfet booster. Jack specifies that you want to adjust the drain to be 4.5-5V at idle with no input by tweaking the 62K resistor. a 62K resistor with my BS170 was giving me a reading of 6.4V so I ended up removing it and socketing that resistor. a 43K resistor gave me a reading of 4.995V and it sounds even better now.

    I also tried Jack's dual position fat switch but didn't care for it so i'm leaving it out. all it does is lower the 9V voltage to the circuit using leds on a spdt on/off/on switch (I used blue ones as recommended).

  • the SCHEMATIC -- the ori-original post at the beginning of the sagrado saga :)
    by Edwin Thoen from Maarssen, The Netherlands at freestompboxes.com
    http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=43847#p43847

    here you find Edwin's hand drawn schematic :) AND a "normal" schematic, by Silent Fly, just a few comments below...
    that schematic I'll upload here anyway...

  • here is JACK ORMAN'S MOSFET BOOSTER, aka the AMZ mosfet BOOSTER (not to be mistaken with AMZ mini-booster!), which can be taken as the original for this circuit
    http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

  • a DISCUSSION, here at guitar-fx-layouts at nabble.com..
    it is about bass preamps...
    and Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso is mentioned quite a couple of times...
    link: http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Bass-pedal-advice-td28206.html#a28212

    of this thread, one comment I'd highlight, it is the suggestion by Beaker to use a 2N7000 (reversed) instead of a BS170...

    One tip for the Sagrado - try a 2N7000 (reversed) instead of a BS170. Makes for a cleaner boost, which might keep your guy happy. The BS170 is clean but gets a bit gritty when turned up high, the 2N7000 stays clean all the way up. I built one for a pro bass playing friend, and he auditioned both for a while before settling on the 2N7000. (He has plenty of grit/dirt/filth options already!).

  • sound sample -- although with guitar, not bass... but that doesn't make it less :) :)
    link here at guitar-fx-layouts at nabble.com:
    http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/DEMO-VIDEO-CATALINBREAD-PICOSO-td17830.html

    and the youtube link directly:
    https://youtu.be/6Fc3VGpWyEw
    the box is a cool design! and so is his gesture to "document" the pedal he had built!
    NOTICE also, at 1:49 what happens when the boost is turned max (!!) (exactly what Beaker talked about)

I guess, this is it for the info pack now...
I'll post the schematic and layouts just below.... (the layouts are NOT YET verified!)(but I'm working on it, even as we speak :))

... Aug. 25..2019

Re: Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

j-pee
This post was updated on .
so, here is FLAT-A... The flat version, using "lying" CAPs...
I also uploaded the DIYLC file "Catalinbread-Sagrado-BASS--FLAT-A.diy" (see below)

and here is FLAT-B :) -- using standing electrolytic caps laid down...

- - - -

and here are the DIYLC files:

Catalinbread-Sagrado-BASS--FLAT-A.diy

Catalinbread-Sagrado-BASS--FLAT-B-v2.diy

Re: Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

Axldeziak
A simple solution would have been to solder some left over cutoffs from other component legs, to the legs of the cap.
Don't worry about what it looks like, it's homemade, and going into an enclosure where it will never be seen.

Re: Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

j-pee
that was exactly my first thought :)
but the veroboard... (the stripboard) as a phenomenon cuts your desires for freedom loose so vividly :)
I mean, it is so mathematical.. so clean, so ordered, and so much under your control...

so, why shouldn't we get exactly what we want?
or.. why would we be content with less than what we exactly want?

I'm also talking about the big caps which would make the board BIG...
I never placed any circuit into the body of my passive bass..
but I know its cavities, and I'm aware that space matters :)

and I imagine this circuit as an onboard preamp...
I can't wait to hear it anyway...

Re: Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

HamishR
I think we all have our own likes/dislikes/ways we prefer to lay things out.  I often redraw layouts to suit my own particular anal tendencies.  In my world I use multilayer ceramic caps for the pF sizes and they span 3 rows.  So I like them to span 3 rows so no bending is required - two rows is ok at a pinch, as is four.  But ideally? Three.  As I use mainly box caps for the nF ranges three rows is preferred there too.  I will go to two row spans if I really have to because you can tuck the wire under the cap and it still looks neat.  But four or more rows is something I really try to avoid.

I love it if I can put electrolytics over just two rows but for whatever reason I'm not as anal about them.  But I do try to leave space for them.  I hate layouts where on the drawing there is space but in reality it's too crowded.  And that may well be the case in my hastily redrawn layout here.  470uF caps can be enormous compared to everything else on one of these layouts.

I also like to have inputs and gains on the left - preferably gain above input - and output on the upper right side.  So this is how I would redraw the Catalinbread booster - It's not verified, I just drew it to illustrate how you can easily swap things around if you want.:

Re: Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso -- vero layout summarizing page ('19)

j-pee
This post was updated on .
looks cool!