Cool Mail Day!

Highsmith
I got some BC169Bs from Greece for some Scramblers.

I also got some crazy looking Amperex germanium diodes....

Re: Cool Mail Day!

GrooveChampion
It looks like something from a horror movie

Looks friggin awesome!

Re: Cool Mail Day!

The magic diodes for Klons!!

So what are the forward voltages?

Re: Cool Mail Day!

Highsmith
Forward voltage for the first five was:

0.681
0.767
0,829
0.849
0.908

Roughly twice that of the Russian D9E.

Dude is selling 2 for a dollar, with $2.61 Shipping in the US.

He appears to have many, many on Ebay. Search the name 1n5a...

Re: Cool Mail Day!

induction
Highsmith wrote
Forward voltage for the first five was:

0.681
0.767
0,829
0.849
0.908

Roughly twice that of the Russian D9E.
Those Vf's look like silicon, not germanium.

Re: Cool Mail Day!

Highsmith
they're not just germanium, they're "historic" germanium:

http://semiconductormuseum.com/MuseumLibrary/HistoryOfCrystalDiodesVolume1.pdf

I should buy 'em all and make a common circuit featuring "rare ge diodes" and sell the pedal for $300.

Re: Cool Mail Day!

induction
Sorry to be skeptical. Germanium diodes have Vf close to 0.3. Silicon diodes have Vf close to 0.7.

Even if they are Ge, with those Vf's they'll sound like Si. (Which is fine.)

They look really cool though, and I'm sure you'll make something awesome out of them. Mojo goes a long way in this hobby. Nice score.