Cornish SS2

johnk
I found some schematic of the Cornish SS2 online so I decided to make a vero and build one. since I use my pedals with a bass, I added and extra Cornish buffer so it could have clean blend and did a few slight tonal mods to make it even more suitable for use with a bass. man oh man, this is an awesome pedal and one of the best OD's that I've ever heard. super smooth, creamy, yet punchy, and with TONS of sustain. with high gain settings, when you hold a note, it sustains for days and then goes into harmonic overtones. I can now see why people are paying ridiculous amounts for money (over $1K!) for them, although I still have a hard time understanding how someone could spend that much on a pedal.

here's a couple of pics of mine:

gut shot:

at 22 columns wide and with the two Cornish buffers, it just barely fits into a 1290 enclosure.

Re: Cornish SS2

Awesome build John, really impressive.  Why did you opt for 2 buffers?

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
the stock pedal has a buffer and in order to add a clean blend, I added another one for the clean. this the original has three gain stages (it's buffer and two 741 opamps) making it out phase with the original signal, so the single buffer stage for the clean side makes the blend function properly.

Re: Cornish SS2

alex.s
Very very impressed, that's one great build, in fact the kind of build I'd put in a 1590BB without even considering anything smaller! Guts are very well organised and the graphics are clear and tidy. A proper job indeed. Waterslide decal?
Love the look of those LED covers, do they have a particular name? Would love to get a few of those :)

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
thanks. the labels were done with a brother p-touch. the led cover is called a clear 'fresnel' and I got them from mouser.

Re: Cornish SS2

MAndrews
Great build John. Did you use Harolds layout http://www.sabrotone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CornishSS2.gif? If so which caps did you change C7-9? How did you wire the blend using the buffers?

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
thanks, i based my layout on Harald's vero but slightly modded it and made to be  22 columns wide (instead of 23). I also changed a few of the cap values and put a 6n8 cap across lugs  1 & 2 on the drive pot so that it didn't roll the highs off at low drive settings.

Re: Cornish SS2

alex.s
Thanks a lot John :)
The labels look pretty sharp, does your Brother print at 180dpi or more?

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
IIRC,  it prints at 160 DPI.

Re: Cornish SS2

jwroper
Do you just stick the labels on then clearcoat the whole thing? I've recently tried using the OHP technique with pretty disapointing results so far, waterslide decals seem way too time consuming and fiddly.

Re: Cornish SS2

sta.papad
Hi johnk.Amazing job.!! Where did you buy that green vero.?

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
nope, I just stick them on with no clearcoat.

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
my local electronics shop carries it.

Re: Cornish SS2

sta.papad
Thanks. It's pretty cool ;)

Re: Cornish SS2

Benno
What diodes did you put in your build John? Thanks

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
1N270's

Re: Cornish SS2

Benno
Thanks mate. Are yours the clear glass type or the black ones with blueish grey band. And do you know the difference between them? I've been slightly obsessed with this pedal lately, have made two with and without the buffer, trying different diodes etc .

Re: Cornish SS2

johnk
they're the black glass ones with a gray band . I got them from mouser.

Re: Cornish SS2

Benno
Cheers. That's what I have too. I was curious about them because the data sheet showed the clear ones. I think I bought the last 5 in Australia from element 14.

Re: Cornish SS2

hendra
hi johnk, i built
the ss2 with sabro layout and its work..but its lack of bottom end and gain..can you tell me for part substitution ( cap or resistor) to make this more bottom end or versatile like your build? •°•♡ⓣⓗⓐⓝⓚⓢ♡ •°•
12