DC sockets, what kind? best practice? center negative

DC sockets, what kind? best practice? center negative

j-pee
hi,

I've just asked a question in a new topic but deleted it cause I had found the answer...
but now I have it again :)

so, DC sockets... in the case of +9v... and center negative wiring...

what kind of sockets do "we" use?
what is the practice?

the problem -- as I see -- is that we need a plastic one... cause otherwise we would connect +9v to the enclosure...
to which ground is connected...
plastic sockets, however, appear to exist only in the Boss type of square + U-shape format...
which would mean CNC cutting for us, not drilling... (if I interpret it right :))

plastic sockets do exist... you find them by 10 pieces on ebay...
however, the appear to have only 2 pins...
that is, battery cannot be switched off when PSU is connected...

what we need is a socket with a switch, that is, with the 3rd pin...
a socket that is made of plastic, at least part of it, so it couldn't connect to the enclosure...

this one below, my ex-favorite, is not good... unfortunately :(

this could be good, but it looks cheap, and it is really rare...

at the same time, Frank NH drilled round holes in his box in his post, "boxing day"..
here:  http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Boxing-Day-td15647.html

so the question remains.... what is the best or most viable way to go about this...?

any help would be greatly appreciated :) :)

.
.

Re: DC sockets, what kind? best practice? center negative

Axldeziak
cnc cutting? Your overthinking it. Drill a hole and use a triangle file to square the corners.

Perhaps you could use a 3.5mm headphone jack for power. Some of the old devices (like the Atari Pong & Atari 2600) used them for power. The sockets can be found with plastic bodies and internal switching. The plug was a mono plug.

Re: DC sockets, what kind? best practice? center negative

HamishR
I use the second socket you showed - mainly because I never use batteries in pedals, they use a relatively small hole and are very cheap - US16c at Tayda.  However I might consider using the 99c  "Lumberg Brand" socket for a pedal I wanted to last a long time.  The connections seem to be a lot chunkier than those on the cheap copies.  They look like the bottom image you show but look a lot better constructed.

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/hardware/dc-power/nebj21c-lumberg-dc-power-socket.html
mug

Re: DC sockets, what kind? best practice? center negative

mug
I've always used the cheap ones from Tayda and never had problems.
here

Re: DC sockets, what kind? best practice? center negative

Silver Blues
I've always used the #4 socket (the "inside" or "outside" version) and they've always been fine. I have one pedal in the works that is using a #2 socket, I think that's fine if you're not going to plug and unplug your jack a lot, but I might not trust it to handle a lot of abuse. The Lumberg ones look nice.