Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

Re: Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

motterpaul
Travis wrote
Eh it's just another one of your posts lol. I'm sure everybody here is used to it
Good - because I don't want to scare anyone.

This is working now - and Rocket, you were absolutely right, it is just a clean boost. I had never built (or owned) one before so I didn't know. I thought maybe it would overdrive a little harder but it doesn't. Not at all. That surprises me considering it is germanium but now I know.

There are misleading demos on YouTube that sound pretty hairy, this was just the first one I picked at random:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gAKpnzr_PA

But it is cool to know that I can build a plain clean boost with Germanium, including my AC125s. Learning process.

Re: Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

Don't get me wrong, it's really annoying and probably everyone wishes you would stop. It's just not a new thing anymore.

They can get a little hairy, but nowhere near fuzz. As it was already pointed out in this thread, the common use for them is to drive an amp that's already somewhat broken up. If you increase the input cap value, you can hit the transistor with a fuller signal and it will break up more (and have more bass)

Re: Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

motterpaul
Just for the record, I keep trying to just keep it strictly on topic. But it just isn't always that easy.

The surprise to me is that the Rangemaster sounds so clean, there is almost no hair to it at all, but plenty of boost. It sounds good, but bright, so I can see why people add LPFs. With it biased to 6.9v on an overdriven amp you get all kinds of cool pinch harmonics.

Anyway, I am looking at your layout:

I see you eliminated the pulldown resistor (1M) but added the Range. Is the range a LPF? With a 4.7 nf and 100k pot I calculate a corner Freq. of 338 Hz.

I also see a 22uF replaces the standard 47uF. So, does the circuit have more gain?

Do you have a demo? How does it sound (compared to regular rangemaster)?

Thx for input.

Re: Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

Sure. Whatever.

The answer to all questions is no

Re: Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

motterpaul
Just FYI: I built the layout.  More breakup, like you said, and range does appear to be a LPF (CW sounds bassier).  This circuit sounds better with the bias lower than a regular rangemaster, which generally likes about 6.9v. This one sounds better at 5.0 - 5.5v.

Re: Dallas Rangemaster Recommendations?

strassercaster
i love the dam  red rooster. every one of my friends thats heard it has wanted one. i used npn  2n3204 transistors with hfe 70-100 . if you want to use pnp use reverse the electrolytics and power. these are just great. i will build a java keeley just hear the differnce . the tone control on the java is more like on a guitar. that why i decided to to the dam red rooster. it really dials in the boost frequency. you can do iommi may and blackmore tones with it. the java switch gives you three cap selections i like the iprecision of the red rooster. bias it to 6.66 per dam recomendation. most rangemasters ound good between 6.2 and 7.2 depending on weather and room temprature 6.66 is around halfway  it will fluctuate
123