Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

aelling
Next up is the Shoe Gazer, which is a Soda Meiser going into a Torn's Peaker (which I have a layout for as well).

Not much to say, a somewhat gated muffy fuzz going into a overdrive/distortion. Really nice tones coming out of this.
For a mod you could flip Q6 (2N2907A) around so Collector goes to ground for a more octave fuzz from the Vintage Fuzz Master (I did this and it's awesome), socket it and try it.

PGS Andy demo

Layout

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

Great pedal.. I used to have a bunch of Devi pedals and the Torns Peaker and Soda Meiser were the two I used the most

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

aelling
Travis wrote
Great pedal.. I used to have a bunch of Devi pedals and the Torns Peaker and Soda Meiser were the two I used the most
Agreed, Andy does the pedal justice in that video. I have a Punch Love (05/25), Rocket and a older all black enclosure Torn's Peaker, gotta say the TP was my favorite.

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

I sold my TP years ago and want one. I will have to build one but I just moved and all my electronics stuff is packed in one big tub of disarray

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

traktop
This post was updated on .
Nice compact layout!
Not long ago I´ve  built this:

I loved the SM/VF side with the chaos network. They worked great on a clean amp, but impossible on a slightly cranked amp.

On the left side, I enjoyed the gated US fuzz the most. The TP and the AE had a good texture, but they were far too noisy for any aplication. All of them were too trebly for a clean amp, but sounded damn good on a cranked amp.

How do you guys run this animals?

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

BetterOffShred
The TP sounded ok to me but way too hissy and noisy so I swapped some lower gain transistors in to a couple spots.  It sounds way better.  I  put the SM transistor on a 3pdt toggle for vintage fuzz master mode too.

They aren't meant to be hifi effects.. but with a couple lower gain transistors in the TP it's totally usable.

I also don't care much for the chaos and noise mode lift toggles.  They sound like real ass.   I left them in on the first stage in my Godzilla build because it seemed pretty cool there ..

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

BetterOffShred
Oh I also used Sabros layout for the TP and SM..  which it looks like the above layout is based off of ?

One thing I noticed is that the SM schematic shows a 1k from the texture knob to gain, and some layouts show it as a 10k.. (going from memory)  I can't remember what the difference was other than a little less noise in the texture knob with 10k.

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

aelling
Nice

One thing you could add is the tremolo effect from the Rocket, just lift all the grounds on the Soda Meiser/Vintage Fuzz Master side.

I usually run my amp just starting to break up with single coils, so it breaks up even more with humbuckers. For the SM/VFM I will use the Volume way up and the Intensity low, for the TP I go back and forth with the settings some are good and some are just way high pitched squeals.

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

aelling
I used IvIark's US Fuzz & SM layouts (with some things moved around) for the my layouts, I like IvIark's because they have no standing resistors like sabro's does. I prefer that, but I see sabro's layouts are laid out with the option to mount the pots on the vero.

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

The TP is quite noisy and picks up a lot of radio. I have used the radio noise in loops and stuff and find that to be pretty cool

The TP works great for me. By itself it can be strident, harsh, noisy.. in a mix it is often just what I want

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

aelling
Yeah, that's what I love about the TP, you can get really noisy stuff but also some tight distortion like the opening riff in that PGS demo.

Also, this can be marked verified

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

ch0p_ch0p
Hey, sorry for the late reply, I saw your layout and as a begginner to all this, something really intrigued me - what is that component named CLR? I´ve searched a bunch online but to no avail. Also, if you could tell me what the blue and beige/pale yellow circles with the white dots in the middle are, I´d be more than glad. Up to this point I´ve only ever seen red and white squares in similar fashions, which I believe to be cuts in the copper of the board, but never these cirlcles. Would really appreciate it if you´d help me figure this out!! Thanks :)

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

SolderSuckerStat!
I suppose you could call me an advanced beginner, but think I can help. CLR stands for current limiting resistor, its just a standard resistor that connects to the LEDs. It limits the amount of current going to the LED, in other words without CLR the LED would be at it's brightest, the CLR going up in value makes it less bright and so there is no specific value, you just add to taste (some where between 4k-10k is a good rule of thumb).
    The beige dots are breaks in the copper and the blue dot is two links or jumpers meeting in the same hole. I think that's everything, maybe you shouldn't be taking too much advice from me, I built this a couple of months back and only one half was working so I left it aside. So now I'm stuck trying to fix the pedal the me of a couple of months ago built.

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

Silver Blues
Just to add to that explanation, you should always have some sort of CLR between your power supply and LED in this application, or else you'll eventually burn the LED.

Re: Devi Ever Shoe Gazer

ch0p_ch0p
Thanks so much!!! This really helped. I hadn't looked at circuits that have LEDs coming out of the circuit board yet so this was kinda confusing ahah. Thank to both people who replied for clearing it up!!

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021, 01:55 SolderSuckerStat! [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suppose you could call me an advanced beginner, but think I can help. CLR stands for current limiting resistor, its just a standard resistor that connects to the LEDs. It limits the amount of current going to the LED, in other words without CLR the LED would be at it's brightest, the CLR going up in value makes it less bright and so there is no specific value, you just add to taste (some where between 4k-10k is a good rule of thumb).
    The beige dots are breaks in the copper and the blue dot is two links or jumpers meeting in the same hole. I think that's everything, maybe you shouldn't be taking too much advice from me, I built this a couple of months back and only one half was working so I left it aside. So now I'm stuck trying to fix the pedal the me of a couple of months ago built.

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Devi-Ever-Shoe-Gazer-tp43682p49740.html
To unsubscribe from Devi Ever Shoe Gazer, click here.
NAML