Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
Ok I decided on this for my first build.  I have everything in the vero board.  Here is where I am getting lost, it is with the wiring.  Can someone explain or show the best way to do this. I have seen quite a few different ways to wire the 3pdt and also the pots.   I'm sorry I am completely new at this.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

alex.s
For the switch/offboard wiring refer to the first post on this page http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

Remember that the input will go to lug 2 of the texture pot (middle one) and the output to lug 2 of the volume pot.

As per pot wiring, lugs numbering is as shown here: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11110&g2_serialNumber=2

Good luck and enjoy, the Hyperion is an easy build and a great sounding fuzz!

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
Thanks for the input I will give it a whirl when I get home this evening.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

LettucePrey
hey peavey, check out my thread...it should help with the 3pdt.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
I tried this when I got home.  I get a bypassed signal but when I press the switch I get a loud hum, also the LED flashes very quickly and goes out....I am baffled

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

Dave
Something is not grounded or is shorting against the metal enclosure, thats a sound we've all heard a 1000 times.
Thanks
Dave

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
This is gonna get on my nerves already lol.  I have looked at this a few times I can't find it.  All solder joints look great. and I double checked my wiring and board layout.  I am gonna lose more hair.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
ok found a small piece of copper on the end of the board that was touching and that eliminated the hum but I am still not getting a signal when the switch is pressed

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

Surgeon
Well, at least you're not getting the hum anymore.

There's just the obvious to look at then: are all the components where they're supposed to be? Did you socket or solder the transistor? Either way, verifying that it works (by swapping for another one if it's socketed) would be a good idea. THey're not that hard to kill while soldering...

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
No I soldered them.  I just placed an order for sockets so I will put them in as soon as I get them.  Hope that works.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

Vince
Yes, definitely socket the transistors and also run a sharp knife in between the copper tracks to make sure you have no solder bridges that are shorting the circuit. After that, as many on here know, I'd bin it and make another lol

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
Really appreciate everyone's help.  Seems crazy I can tackle switch gear, motor controls, and fiber optics and this has kicked my ass.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

otalgiafx
Solder bridges can be sometimes be invisible to the human eye so running the craft knife is a great idea. Also check the orientation of the trannies.

With a straightforward circuit like this it is probably worth making an audio probe - http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html .. using this probe you can step through the circuit starting at the input and follow the signal path through and hopefully identify the faulty component (s).

Another useful hint for using an audio probe is plugging a low level sound source into the input of the effect so that you have both hands free to test the circuit (rather than doing a juggling act of silmultaneous strumming and debugging).

Good luck.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

otalgiafx
Also worth testing the circuit before its connected to the footswitch as they can sometimes misfunction.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
I will try that here after work.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
Ok, I have a bypassed signal with no hum now and when the switch is pressed the LED comes on now.  Also I get sound but its weak and clean?  Where do I go with this next?  All help is appreciated thanks so much.

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

peavey_xxl
I finally have it!!! My first build!!! Thanks again everyone I am very thankful!

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

Madferret
Feels good doesn't it :D

Re: Devi ever Hyperion

Jon the Art Guy
congrats! I understand the Hyperion is an excellent fuzz. I follow Devi on facebook, and I think that's the pedal she's most proud of. That and the Shoegazer. I'm looking forward to breadboarding, then boxing up a Black Cat OD1, then moving on to a Thor and an Easyface.

Can we get a photo or two of the build?