Diamond Bass Comp vs. Guitar Comp

negativefx
This post was updated on .
Still haven't found a schematic for the bass comp.  I'm curious to know if anyone has A/B'd the Bass Comp with the regular Guitar Comp (which Harald did a layout for) specifically for bass and what the findings were.  What about mods to the guitar comp to make it more bass friendly?  I've not played either of them and quite honestly I'm not interested in building the guitar version as an experiment given its sizable component list.  No local shops carry either of them so I don't really have the ability to test them myself.  I'd order a bass comp but I have a fetish for built-by-me on my board.

Re: Diamond Bass Comp vs. Guitar Comp

I haven't built one, but I know john modified the guitar version to work well on bass. I think he had a posted what he did in a thread on bass comps. I remember the thread because I ended up modifying an Emma transmorgrifier for bass. Hopefully John will chime in with what he did again. I know he loves it now.

Re: Diamond Bass Comp vs. Guitar Comp

YerayM
I built one using harald's layout to use with bass. Used the values suggested by JohnK: "raised the values of the 100n’s C7, C8,& C18 to 470n’s". I also calculated the values to change the EQ center frequency to 250Hz, just use 20nF for C4 and C5.

I have a post in my blog explaining my calcs here and implemented a calculator if you want to tweak the eq section, link. I'm afraid this is the best we can do without the schematic for the bass version.

Re: Diamond Bass Comp vs. Guitar Comp

YerayM wrote
Great information there, thanks for posting your link

Wow, great stuff.  Thanks so much!   I had expected that JohnK's changes would do the trick, but I was looking for confidence that they were at least similar to what Diamond actually did for their bass comp.

Re: Diamond Bass Comp vs. Guitar Comp

YerayM
Just to clarify, I'm not claiming that this are the changes to make it the bass version, they are only to change the  EQ center to 250Hz and make it more "bass friendly". I tried to read everything on FSB about it and the consensus was that the bass version may have more changes in it. Nonetheless, I like it a lot with bass.

This is how it looks:

I haven't posted it yet because I have a problem with the bi-color led and a constantly growing list of builds  I want to end.