Difference between transistor suffixes... eg 2222A vs 2222G

Difference between transistor suffixes... eg 2222A vs 2222G

tkrex
I've been searching for way too long this morning, trying to find the answer to this.  If a circuit calls for a particular transistor, but i can only find similar ones, how much room for error is there?  Like, will any old NPN transistor do (provided the voltage is high enough) whenever an NPN is called for?  (Granted, some might sound better or worse in different circuits, i just want to know if the circuit would "work".)

More specifically, what is the difference between different component suffixes?  For example, the data sheet for the MPS2222 mentions MPS2222A, MPS2222G, MPS2222AG, etc.  However, when it lists actual values, it only makes mention of MPS2222 and MPS2222A (no G).

Lastly, if a transistor is labeled XX2222X, are these all in the same "family"?  Examples: PN2222, 2N2222, MPS2222, etc.

Thanks.

Re: Difference between transistor suffixes... eg 2222A vs 2222G

Silver Blues
tkrex wrote
If a circuit calls for a particular transistor, but i can only find similar ones, how much room for error is there? Like, will any old NPN transistor do (provided the voltage is high enough) whenever an NPN is called for?
Really quite a lot. Most silicon transistor-based pedal circuits aren't very specific on which device they use. Often different transistors will have different tones or gain structures, but the circuit will work just as well. In this line of work I don't think you'll ever have to worry about subjecting any transistor to voltages near the absolute maximums so just feel free to swap them about until you hear something you like. The only exception is when a circuit calls for a Darlington, then you should only interchange among other NPN or PNP Darlingtons and not a regular transistor (you'll note though that in some circuits it may be to your liking to replace a regular transistor with a Darlington). This is because the Darlington is usually specified because the extra gain is needed for some reason.

There are essentially three different sets of rules for naming transistors. I'll refer you to this instead of explaining it all myself. Often on transistors, you may have a suffix that indicates a specifically sorted gain range for that device, e.g. BC108A vs. BC108B vs. BC108C in order of increasing hFE. Such a thing also exists for op-amps, where the prefix generally refers to the manufacturer in some way and the suffix is something about improvements or packages, etc. So like the UA741 and the LM741 are the same chip made by different people, and the TL072CP is a PDIP-8 package (what we're used to using) and the TL072CD is a SOIC package (little SMD thing). I believe in your case that the MPS2222AG is a Motorola-made 2222A in a lead-free RoHS-compliant package, the PN2222 is a "regular" 2222 in a plastic TO-92 package, etc. - short of the device type, none of that should mean much of anything to you. You will notice though that the 2222 and the 2222A are actually slightly different devices, but to an extent likely not noticeable in a low-voltage low-frequency audio circuit.

Re: Difference between transistor suffixes... eg 2222A vs 2222G

"Like, will any old NPN transistor do (provided the voltage is high enough) whenever an NPN is called for?  (Granted, some might sound better or worse in different circuits, i just want to know if the circuit would "work"."

Yes in theory. As long as you stick to roughly similar gain range, and you use a transistor with the same pinout (or do some leg twisting), you should be fine. Any build that specifies 2N2222 for example will work with 2N3904 or 2N5088 instead. They have similar gains, and the same pinout. Yes the sound may be slightly different, but it will work.

You can always get around the pinout / leg twisting issue by buying metal can versions if they are available. 2N2222 metal cans are one of my favourite transistors for this reason, and because they sound awesome.

 Evrything Silver has said about the labelling system is spot on (and that link he posted is well worth a look as it cuts through some of the fog), but it's actually even more complicated than that!

For example a plastic package P2N2222 is the same as a 2N2222, but with the pinout reversed!

Re: Difference between transistor suffixes... eg 2222A vs 2222G

Silver Blues
Ugh man don't even talk to me about pinouts  it would have been so great if all the big component firms had a referendum and settled on ONE standard pinout for each model of similar device (i.e. all silicon BJTs would have the same pinout, all JFETs, etc) because I really don't see any reason why one transistor has to be BCE and another CBE and another BEC (yes that exists ) when they're all the same shit. Lol...

Re: Difference between transistor suffixes... eg 2222A vs 2222G

I mostly play around with germanium and I don't think any of mine have different pinouts except for the GT308. Makes things so easy. Why can't Si be so simple? Oh well, at least I've got a DCA55 so it's a moot point anyway