EH 44 magnum

baldness
I was wondering where people find schematics. I am very curious about the Electro Harmonics 44 magnum. It's a 44 watt ss power and in pedal form. I would love to clone it but I cant find and schematics.

Re: Electro Harmonix 44 magnum

baldness
Just to clear it up
Electro Harmonix 44 magnum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDtDRfIUyv0

Re: EH 44 magnum

Here's the TPA3106D1 datasheet. The application circuit on page 14 is allegedly mostly (or even exactly) the same as the 44 Magnum. Here's a full project write-up for a pedal-sized amp based on a similar chip. (It's in Italian, but you'll get plenty of information from the pictures. If you want more, there's always google translate.) Both of these are SMD, though, and not really doable for the average DIYer.

There are plenty of other chipamps that are a little easier to work with. (Here are a few to explore. ) Beware, though. Just because the 44 Magnum looks like a pedal doesn't mean that pedal-building skills are sufficient to make a power amp, even a solid-state one. Power amps and pedals are not really equivalent. Layouts for large-ish power amps have to be carefully optimized to avoid oscillation, and most of the engineering goes into the power supply, not the amp circuit itself.

If you want something reasonably similar, there are some decent projects on DIYSB and FSB. The Tiny Giant comes to mind.

Re: EH 44 magnum

baldness
Ty very much. Ive built a few amps in the past. Both solid state and tube. But you may be right this may be a a tad out of my expertise. Im going to check all the stuff out you linked me.
Again thank you very much

Re: EH 44 magnum

induction
If you've built amps before, the Tiny Giant shouldn't be any problem for you. It can fit into a 1590B, and I'm pretty sure there's a layout available, if not a pcb for sale (you'll have to read the thread). It uses a laptop power supply, which cuts out a large amount of the hassle.

The 44 Magnum uses a Class D amplifier, which is very efficient. So if you can find a decent 24VDC/3A adapter (again, a laptop supply might do the trick), the power supply is probably not too much of a problem. The biggest trouble with the 44 Magnum would be making a layout that doesn't oscillate, and soldering a tiny 32-pin SMD IC. If you manage it, though, lots of people will sing your praises if you post the layout and a build report.

Re: EH 44 magnum

Muadzin
I have about 3 of the little dudes, thinking I could use them as poweramps to my pedal board. You can, but they had a tendency to experience a tremolo like effect at certain volumes. Don't know if it was of the 44 Magnum, or the interaction with my board, but it kept happening so often I ditched them in favor of a regular rackmounted poweramp. Haven't looked back since.