Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

anders
There is a schematic in THIS thread of a very early version of DBA Soundwave Breakdown.

Whipped up a quick vero because this simple circuit looks quite primitive and odd.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

Hozy31
Which row is ground?
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

anders
Oops, thanks for that. Layout is updated.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
Just built this. Not sure if verified...definitely getting heavy square wave fuzz, minimal sustain, and not quite sure exactly what the knobs are doing yet. Sounds killer either way.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

anders
Awesome! The square knob seems to  work like primitive filter and the Sine knob sets the bias of Q2. Which transistor did you use?

BTW, your description of it sound identical to the tracer over at FSB so I guess it's verified?

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
MPSA13. I also subbed the two 4M3 resistors with 4M7, and the 1K5 with 2K since I didn't have those values on hand. I flipped the transistors, but the sine pot didn't like that and started smoking, so I'm going to replace that when I get home from work and see if that changes the sound at all.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
I changed the pot, sound was about the same. I switched the places of the two transistors and that made a slight difference (might have damaged one in the previously mentioned smoke incident), but overall still the same. I chuckled while reading his description. I would say it's verified.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

squirrels
How does this one sound compared to the later version? I have an extra 1590A sitting around waiting to be used.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
The 3 knob seems to have more sustain, from what I gather from demo vids. Mine also doesn't oscillate. I can record a quick demo tomorrow if you'd like.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

squirrels
Yeah sure, it's always nice to hear what people have built. I'm looking for a crazy fuzz to compliment my Harmonic Transformer and Fuzz Factory clones. I may not go with this one yet, I'm missing a 50k pot. All I really have right now is a 25k but I guess I could use that for the time being.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
Looks like I lied about the lack of sustain and oscillation.

Guess I hadn't messed with the knobs enough. There's a sweet spot toward full clockwise on the sine knob where you get noise, as well as noisy sustain. Full cw, no volume. Ccw, less sustain. The square control is a bit more subtle ( as in I can't tell the difference between full cw or ccw).

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

squirrels
Sounds pretty good. I may have to give it a shot.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

squirrels
I was looking at the layout on the main site, maybe the square wave pot would work better with a 250k?

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

heuermh
Ah smoke.

This one has got me twice already, first Q2 started smoking, then later after reflowing a few things the B50k pot started on fire.

I'm left with something 1000x louder than the input signal with a ton of self-oscillation.  I'm using MPSA13s and also tried MPSA12s.  When you say "I flipped the transistors" do you mean swapped Q1 and Q2 or installed them backwards or upside down (so the transistor pinout doesn't match)?

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
I meant flipping the pin out. DBA really knowns how to make a testy circuit.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

heuermh
Thanks.  Sorry if I'm being thick.  :)

Does it work better (not start fires) the wrong way
 vero       MPSA13
             ----
  E  <---   / C |
  B  <---  |  B |
  C  <---   \ E |
             ----
or the right way?
 vero       MPSA13
            ----
  E  <---   | E \
  B  <---   | B  |
  C  <---   | C /
            ----

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

heuermh
Ah wait!  By tracing the schematic I found another problem with my build, C3 is in the wrong place.

I still could use confirmation on the transistors; I assume they should match the schematic.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

heuermh
Shit!  That didn't do it, smoked another Q2.  This one's going in the bin.

Re: Early 2 Knob Death by Audio Soundwave Breakdown

SonusFluxa
Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble! Just to be sure, I have the transistors oriented as per the layout.