Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Harmony-Rocket
This sounds really interesting to me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV59cwA_mzA
Seems to have a very open sound, perhaps a little jangly?
Would give it a clear go though!
Happy when it works!

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

johnk
I drew up a vero for it if you want one. (it's also verified).

john

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

LettucePrey
There was a speaker cranker vero up for a while but it was removed. I'm sure there was a legitimate reason.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

peavey_xxl
I would like to have a go at this vero!

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

johnk
here's a pic of mine:

and here's the vero for it:
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/Effects/Fuzz-ODs/SpeakerCranker/01-speakercrankerVERO.png

and BTW, the 1N60's in the original EQD SC are actually the shottky orange glass ones and not the germanium ones.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

peavey_xxl
Thank you!  I will give this a try.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Harmony-Rocket
Thanks John - thats a big favour!!!
Will have a cranked weekend ;)

Btw: is this an orig enclosure or did you copy the eqd artwork?
Looks like the original!
Happy when it works!

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

johnk
I copied the artwork from a pic of one online and made a decal for it with photoshop, then applied it to a yellow powdercoated 1290, and shot a few coats of clear poly over it.

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Harmony-Rocket
Bullseye - supercool!
Happy when it works!

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Nice job John

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

LettucePrey
Hey John, Pedal looks great. One question on the layout...the one that was posted here a while back had the transistor facing the opposite direction (CBE were still the same)...does this affect the sound?

Also, did you use water slide decals?
Meh

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Meh
I just built this vero layout and it doesn't seem to work.

I've checked the layout several times, checked for cold solders and fused tracks, but everything checks out.

I've replaced the transistor, no difference.

1. Are you certain this vero layout works?

2. Is the orientation of the transistor, the diodes and the polar caps correct?

3. Is there a schematic I can compare the vero to?

Thanks!

i'm ositve that it works. I built mine off of it and it works exactly like the original.
Meh

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Meh
John,

Thanks for the confirmation. Must be a cracked trace somewhere. I'll breadboard it and see if I can get it going that way.

Thanks.

well, it's a pretty simple circuit without many components so it shouldn't be difficult to get it running. good luck with it.
Meh

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Meh
Weird. Works when breadboarded, but not on the vero. Pot allows clean signal through when hard left, but attenuates the signal as it's dialed up, until there's nothing at full clockwise.

I have:

1. Used all new parts and all new vero. Parts came directly off the working breadboard.

2. Checked the traces for joins & voids.

3. Re-flowed all of the joints.

4. Verified that there's power to the board.

Since there aren't enough ground points on the board, I've got the ground wire coming to a breadboard, then the grounds for VR1, power ground, both jack grounds and the LED ground coming to the - rail on the breadboard. LED lights up fine.

The only deviation from the circuit was swapping the 10K LED resistor for a 4.7K (I prefer it a little bright). Otherwise, all components are as drawn.

Suggestions? Anyone have voltages at critical pins they can share?
Meh

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Meh
Still troubleshooting.

Input: 9.45V

Voltages at the transistor:

C:  .48
B: 1.04
E: 8.52

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Benno
Hi Meh, you should have the 8.52 volts at the collector rather, try flipping the transistor
Meh

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Meh
BINGO! Many, many thanks!!

Does this mean that the orientation of Q1 on the vero is 180 degrees out?

Meh

Re: Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker

Meh
Never mind. I think I've been reading Vero layouts wrong. I always assumed that I was looking at the strip side and that the components were on the other side, shown in x-ray. It's the other way round: I'm looking at the true components and the strips are on the far side.

Dork.
12