Electric Druid Tremolo with tap tempo

Freppo
This post was updated on .
here's a verified layout for a very nice Tremolo with tap tempo by Electric Druid (with a couple of small changes that musicPCB.com added to their PCB layout).

More info and code at http://www.electricdruid.net/index.php?page=projects.taplfo

The signal path is taken from Tremulus lune, but the LFO is replaced with a digital PIC chip (figured I might aswell make more use of my pickit2) with loads of possibilities. It has tap tempo, 8 different LFO waveshapes (even a random shape) and a multiplier function that is really cool - for example, you can tap 8th notes and get a 16th notes tremolo and so on... Very useful, especially for tapping in speeds that is faster then you can step.. There is also possible to hook up another footswitch that toggles to the next multiplier.

I used a VTL5C3 vactrol for my build and it works great. :)
The crystal can be bought from tayda

cheers
/ Freppo
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Electric Druid Tremolo with tap tempo

cylens
hey, that's great!!!

i've completed a TTT yesterday with a PCB from musicpcb for a friend of mine. it sure sounds great and I told myself: well I have to work on a layout so I don't have to order another one!

sometimes, things DO turn well...

thanks a lot, I will build it for sure

Re: Electric Druid Tremolo with tap tempo

Great job Fredrik

Re: Electric Druid Tremolo with tap tempo

Freppo
This post was updated on .
Thanks :)

I noticed I have forgot to add info on where to connect the "next multiplier" switch. It goes from IC pin 7 (pad i-19). That wasn't in the original schematic I drew the layout from, and i'm too lazy to change it now, hence the awful wire placement :P

EDIT: Updated the layout with a better wire placement and removed one unnessecery cut.

This is my completed build:

guts:

The other board is a CMOS switching circuit I tried out for this one, works great. :)

cheers
/ Fredrik
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se

Re: Electric Druid Tremolo with tap tempo

cylens
I've finally built this one, too!

It gave me a headache, since everything on the signal path was ok, voltage on Input pins of the PIC, too, but I had nothing on the output of the PIC...

Well after extreme cursing and smashing everything around, I found that I had a bad Crystal... can you believe it?? I have a friend, working with PICs every day, and he NEVER got a bad one...

So of course, your layout is perfect, I've removed the 10k resistor and used a 25k pot for Level control

One question, though: any ticking with the VTL5C3? I have some using "discontinuous" waveforms  with an ultrabright LED with + tayda LDR

I might try to modify the code to have extra stuff happening (and actually, I'm not using the tap tempo feature at all...)

I will swap the multiplier and waveform pots for rotary switches, too. Will report here when it's done.

Re: Electric Druid Tremolo with tap tempo

Freppo
Ouch, dud components are always the last thing you would expect.
Glad you got it working!

Mine is ticking in the square wave shape, but it works fine otherwise.
I have started to use shielded input/output wires for all my modulation builds..
Seems to help alot to reduce/eliminate ticking.

I wish I could understand programming, but it's way over my head.
But I have a friend who is helping me to make a custom PIC for my PWM phaser.

Looking forward to you report on the rotary switches!
I was also thinking of doing that with my cardial tremolo (+taplfo) build
check out my building blog at www.parasitstudio.se