Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Kinski
This post was updated on .
So I'm drawing more small layouts to improve my skills.
I'll build this in a few weeks when I have some time.
Anyone see anything wrong?

EDIT // UPLOADED CORRECTED LAYOUT BELOW

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Alex
Nice layout!
You can eliminate the shortest link from Ground (it goes nowhere).
Volume 2 is the Output.
Volume 1 goes to ground.
If you move some things around (on the right side) you can make the layout even smaller.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Kinski
Thanks Alex!

The extra ground link was left over from trying different things out. Removed it.
"Volume 3 to output" was a typo.  Fixed it.

As for grounding of volume 1, do I have my pots reversed? Should I swap Vol 3 with Vol 1, and Gain 3 with Gain 1? I don't see in the schematic anyway to tell pot orientation. Or wether the pots are log or audio.

I'll take a look at the layout some more to find ways to make it smaller. The most obvious to me are using standing resistors, but I learned from all you guys here, so I figured I'll follow the forum tradition of no standing resistors.

I also try to have off board wiring only on one side of the board, if it's reasonably possible. Just a preference, but I like it.

I know angled components are not too common on layouts here, but they don't really bother me if they don't clutter things up too much. And I don't see any drawbacks to having them.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Alex

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Kinski
Hey thanks Alex!
I flipped the pots last night on the layout. Should be updated in my OP.
Not surprised you were able to get the layout even smaller!
Its up to you, of course, but no need to delete your layout. Always nice to have more options! And people certainly have many more reasons to trust your layouts over mine. Ha!
From what I found online, I thought the gain pot was linear. You have audio. Hmmm...

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Alex
Not sure if Linear or Log.
May be linear.
My layout was just to show you how you could move components around to make it smaller.
It is still your layout (I've done nothing apart from moving things) and I think it's fair to delete mine.
If you want you could move your components the same way.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Kinski
yeah, I know, but it feels like cheating.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Alex
Not really cheating because it's still your layout.
If you prefer, I just give you an idea and you could move them in a different way.
Even if it gets slightly bigger doesn't really matter.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Hozy31
Verified Alex's layout. Pretty nice fuzz. I think the Gain pot should maybe be linear as its all squashed to one end. Cheers Kinski and Alex
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Kinski
Cool!

On Sep 17, 2016, at 1:12 PM, Hozy31 [via Guitar FX Layouts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Verified Alex's layout. Pretty nice fuzz. I think the Gain pot should maybe be linear as its all squashed to one end. Cheers Kinski and Alex
"Red velvet lines the black box"

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Escobedo-Pushme-Pullyou-Octave-Fuzz-tp33000p33090.html
To unsubscribe from Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz, click here.
NAML

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Suzukiscottie
I did as layout for this back in May, but I did it specifically for some mojo caps that I had lying around.

It does sound pretty good, but I think a guitarist with better skills than me would get more out of it!

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

peterinio
Hey Alex!

Shouldn't row 11 cap be 10μF instead of 100μF?

I built it yesterday, and it works (albeit with a 100μF cap). The octave effect is subtle, but its there. It gets more accented if I use another fuzz before it.

I'll try switching the cap today to see if it would make a difference.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Fred Russom
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

digi2t
If anyone is interested in a "ballsier" version of this circuit, then the "What The Fuzz?!" might be right for you. I found this on Forrest Whitesides' "Beer and Transistors" web page several years ago. He took it down years ago, but I saved a copy. The first stage of the PM,PU is replaced by a 386. It's loud and raunchy, and I love it. Here's the original layout;

Here is my vero for it;

We also have boards for it over at Dead End FX, under the moniker "HUH??". The schematic is available in the build document.

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Axldeziak

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Fred Russom
Thanks...After all this time I just came back and built the PMPU and the What the fuzz.  I really like the WTF. Is there any way I could add a gain pot to it?

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

fx-fidden
Did you build the layout above? Is it verified?

Anyway, if you want to add a gain pot you could make it in two ways:

1.
- Lug 3 of a 1k linear pot at C stripe, left side.
- Move the C1 cap negative side on the D stripe and make a cut track between the two lead.
- Lug 2 of the 1k linear pot at D stripe.

2.
- Input on the lug 3 of a 500k linear pot.
- Lug 2 of the 500k linear pot at F stripe.
- Lug 1 at the ground (E stripe), or if you can find a way, through a resistor, to set the min gain setting, then to the ground.
- If you notice treble loss at min gain setting, try to put between lug 2 and 3 a small cap ceramic cap, I don't know... 50pF, 100pF...

If you want you can add both the pots, I'm almost sure those will work in a very different way.
I build pedals

Re: Escobedo Pushme Pullyou Octave Fuzz

Fred Russom
Thanks!!!! I built the above Vero layout for the WTF and it works great and sounds great!