Extra cuts in vero layouts = lower noise?

Extra cuts in vero layouts = lower noise?

Frank_NH

Hi all,

An issue came to my mind when reading MAO Pedals Thunderbird contribution thread.  The question is this: Is it worth making extra cuts in the vero layout for unused portions of a given strip to reduce noise?  My feeling is that it would indeed reduce extra "stray" signals and thus reduce noise.  The example here is a vero layout I did for the Plexidrive (for my own amusement).  The extra cut example is shown on the first row.  It would essentially remove the leftmost part of that row from the circuit.  Now that row in particular may not make any difference, but making additional cuts at other parts of the circuit may very well help, especially of input signal path runs parallel to an output path.  Opinions?

Re: Extra cuts in vero layouts = lower noise?

Chris60601
So ... In my terms, this is reducing the path that the signal will travel (or limiting just how far it will go), correct?
As I am not qualified to answer that one way or another, the theory sounds logical.
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.

Re: Extra cuts in vero layouts = lower noise?

I used to do this quite frequently in my older layouts with the 9V rows, make an extra cut to minimise the places where it is running in parallel with the signal.  In my mind it seemed like a pretty quick and easy thing to do, but whether it actually makes a difference or not, I really don't know.  I suspect that it won't which is why I stopped doing it, but admit that I haven't actually tested to see if there is anything tangible in it.
MAO

Re: Extra cuts in vero layouts = lower noise?

MAO
I'll test it when I build my Thunderbird. I've got a couple others that I can test it out on as well.  I don't have any other high gain pedals in the works at the moment, but I am finishing up a modded DOD 440, Craig Anderton Rocktave Divider (will be posting those once verified) and Keeley Compressor

I'll omit the extra cuts 1st, then add them afterwards and compare the before and after.

It will probably be sometime in March though.

But I'm thinking what's the cost for a few extra cuts, 60 seconds? Why not?

Mike
1978 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Cherry Sunburst