FOXX Phaser

Michael_Telecaster
Hey guys!
i recently got a request from a mate about putting together a phaser pedal that he really wants, he had done some hunting and found this schematic to go along with it. i've tried turning this schematic into something workable but im definitely getting nowhere. just wanted to post here and see if anybody can help please!

Re: FOXX Phaser

PMowdes

You're gonna need to post a bigger picture than that if you want anyone to respond.

Re: FOXX Phaser

Michael_Telecaster

Re: FOXX Phaser

Looks phase 90 esque but 6 stages? Very cool

Re: FOXX Phaser

Michael_Telecaster
Yeah i've heard one before in person and they sound bloody amazing, but I just have no idea how to convert this schematic into a stripboard design

Re: FOXX Phaser

nocentelli
Six matched (semi obsolete) FETs!?

Re: FOXX Phaser

GrooveChampion
Kill me now.

Thing is I've seen a FOXX Phaser built on OTAs

Re: FOXX Phaser

Michael_Telecaster
Built on OTA's?

Re: FOXX Phaser

GrooveChampion
It used chips like the CA3080 or LM136/700 instead of Jfets.

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving
I ve had and built many phasers but this is the definitive sound for any Queen / Brian May fan - judt listen to White Queen from Live at the Rainbow, absolutely majestic and haunting.

The task can  be simplified if the auto / manual switch is left out. I really hope someone will give this a chance - thanks in advance!

Re: FOXX Phaser

Alex
This would be quite large but not too difficult to draw compared to some other circuits.
Now on the schematic..
Never seen this pedal before (not many infos) but I've found this:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/sears/phasingpedal
I assume "Q" is the Depth pot?
Are the original ICs LM324?
Do you know the original FETs?
Are diodes 2 - 6 1n4148?
I assume points marked 1.8V get connected all together (same thing for +6)
The Toe Switch numbering is not very clear.
I guess it's a DPDT like this:

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving
Hi Alex and thanks so much fores your reaponse!

I m currently not able to move much (injured leg)  so i ll come back asap with move info. For now, i had found the transistor types in another forum but they were unobtainium. D4 to D6 must be 1n4148 since the voltage denoted on the junction is 1.8v (3x0.6v)

Thanks again!

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving
oh, and you re right, q is the depth / feedback.it comprises of  trim pot that sets the maximum feedback possible (max when set to zero) and an external pot that allows manual control externally between the aforementioned max value and a min value that also depends on the trimpot value.

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving
i think that in lieu of a wah-style case you can hardwire the switch to the lfo side, it s useless otherwise!

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving
Transistors photo

https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--6EiOTXad--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1496115350/e7jpswhebqzskgzcfjnt.jpg

Also note that the fet bias trimmer value is missing but if the colour of the trimmers in the photo above is indicative of the value it can t be 1m since the q trimmer is 1m and the two trimmer colours are different.

Re: FOXX Phaser

AuditoryDriving

Re: FOXX Phaser

Alex
This was a nightmare.
Took me a while cause I don't have much time for layouts anymore.
I think it matches the schematic but....
I'll post it on the main page once it's ok (not sure how many people would be interested anyway)
I've left the mode switch for "originality" reasons but it shouldn't be too difficult to remove.