Face Melter

Hozy31
This post was updated on .
Thought i would have a go at doing a layout as i really want to see what this is like. It turned out quite big.  Unverified. I will try and give it a go tomorrow. Let me know if you see any mistakes. Edit: Found some major errors, updated again 17/12.

"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Face Melter

Hozy31
Built it and its not quite right. Sounds like a very tame OD, not enough gain. I reckon i have made a mistake somewhere but haven't spotted it yet. Feel free to have a look and see where i have gone wrong, i used the pedal PCB schematic.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Face Melter

anders
Hmmm, can't spot any errors in your layout, Hozy.
I hope you don't mind but I found a layout in my drive that I totally forgotten. Currently unverified.

Re: Face Melter

andrea83
hi hozy,
C23 100n on the top left is on IC pin2 instead of pin1.
Could it be the cause?

Re: Face Melter

Hozy31
Thanks andrea83, i think that probably is the error. I'll rectify when i get back from work and see if that does the trick.

Anders, thats such a much more compact layout than my dodgy attempt. If i can't get mine working i'll try yours, cheers.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
its not working right, I triple checked everything . all the knobs do something but there is very very little gain, i added the ground wire where i could at row A-10. I added power at row D-21. It passes signalbut there is no distortion. the sizzle and booty seem to affect it and volume works, even the gain does a little something but its not right.Man I have been on a bad run latley. So I made a wampler faux analog delay today as well. Its working .

I could use some help on this. I did Anders Layout for the face melter

Re: Face Melter

Hozy31
I corrected the mistake in my layout and it sounded just as you describe. So, i then tried anders layout and got exactly the same problem. Hmmm.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
This post was updated on .
So right now they both do the same thing ? Neither is verified ? ?

I wonder if pedal Pcb schematic is right and lined up with the circuit boards .??

I am starting to wonder the same thing with the G3 because didn’t you breadboard that entire schematic and have issues ?

Re: Face Melter

Hozy31
It was someone else in that thread who breadboarded it and had issues.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
Breyer there is hope for this Anders Layout . Bugg says that the 220,2,4K and 2.7k need to connect to pin 2 not pin three . I’m gonna tie them all together and run a wire to pin two in the one empty hole . I’ll do it tonight for sure .

Re: Face Melter

BuGG
My comments about the 220R, 2K4, and 2K7 were in reference to anders layout.

On Hozy's layout the problem is the 100n (highlighted in red square) is going to Pin 2 of the opamp instead of Pin 1.  Move the top lead up one row and it just might jump to life.

Also make sure you are using a 100n in the spot highlighted in green. That appears to be what is noted, but the component looks like a ceramic so might cause confusion.

Re: Face Melter

anders
Thanks! Bugg is coming to rescue! Pretty obvious mistake but a set of fresh eyes sorted it.
The layout was pretty cramped but I managed to to some sort of hack job to it by shifting some things around and ad a link. I'll leave the older layout on top of the thread as is if someone already started on it.. But the new layout is below.

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
This post was updated on .
just got old layout fired up thank you all gentlemen! The new layout still needs power and ground wires. I love making pedals !

Re: Face Melter

Svullgo
Hi guys, I have built Anders first version but connected the three resistors to pin 2.
It sound good but at full volume it still lower than bypass and the booty knob does nothing except in CCW where it cuts almost all signal (and bass)
The big volume drop is after R35 (4.7k) and R36 (10k)
Any ideas on where I have messed up? (I have double-checked cuts, links, values and connections)

In Anders layouts, the last 10k resistor is missing (compared to the schematic) so is it superfluous?

Thanks for all the layouts and the help you provide for us all!

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
I also noticed the last 10k resistor was missing the other night. Idk Ill try putting it in. I still have an issue withthe first anders version. I made the second version it was working I boxed it and its not working now ha ha. Make sure your leds diodes are right orientation.Triple check you wiring to the pots sounds like a pot might be wired backwards or a wire is in the wrong hole. post a couple pics I will be happy to look it over . The usual look for solder brodges reflow everything . knife the board inbetween tracks .

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
I took a little time off mking pedals. when I came backto this build I flipped the switch and its  is like a helicopter. its fine in the normal position but when the high gain is on it  pulses strange

Re: Face Melter

Strassercaster1
So the second Anders layout works great made couple yesterday .
I still can’t get the first layout working right . When I flip the switch on extreme and the gain is at 1 o’clock it’s fine . If I turn the gain past that the clipping LEDs start flashing and it literally sounds like a helicopter . I have never come across this before . I guess its oscillating ha ha . I took the 220r 2.4k and 2.7k and stuck them in the only open a lot on pin 2 of the opamp . I  already boxed it thinking it was fine I forgot to done everything to make sure .

I could just replace it . I would rather figure it out . I have checked this board a half dozen times . I am stumped

Re: Face Melter

I had a Super Hard On that sounded like a helicopter with my Telecaster only, other guitars sounded normal. Nothing weird about the Tele itself.

Funny when you get a problem like that sounding so ridiculously screwed up

My guess is some kind of short or misplaced component but who knows?!

What are your voltages?
12