Favorite ODs?

jtn191
Hey guys I'm a total overdrive fiend...wondering if you guys have anything else to recommend
So far I've built/own:
Lovepedal Eternity (TS)
OCD
Rat w/ LED option
Hotcake
Danelectro Daddy'O (Guv'nor)
Klon
BJF Honey Bee

If they're anything worth trying, I'm interested in: Bluesbreaker, Timmy/Amp 11, CM Plexitone, Wampler amp ODs

Re: Favorite ODs?

dodido
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Favorite ODs?

Heath
Currently my fav is the Lovepedal Kalamzoo

Re: Favorite ODs?

erichoh
I think the Timmy is worth the build.  I don't so much love it as a straight ahead overdrive into a clean amp but it is great at hitting an already cooking amp and also works great after another overdrive or especially a fuzz pedal.

I also really like the Cot 50 or the amp50 or whatever it's called now.  A very straight ahead overdrive (just one knob after all) that works pretty nice with the guitars volume knob if you're into that. Works best when it's connected directly to the guitar though as buffers before it seem to make it to bright for me. I build one into a 1590a box so it's nice to just leave in a guitar case if I ever need it.

And don't overlook the box of rock, the whole thing or just the overdrive side.  Pretty cool sound that seems more "amp-like" to me than a lot of other overdrive pedals.  Can do a nice ac-30 kind of thing with the tone up or more jtm-45y with the tone down.

Re: Favorite ODs?

Rolf Poti
Mad professor sweet honey OD. Really amazing od in my opinion. it probably just is a few tweeks on the honey bee.

Yesterday i finished the mad professor bass od for my dad, and belive it or not it sounds great with guitar. very open sound and was great worked great with wahwah. I will probably build one for my self maybe with a few tweeks just for tweeking : p

Re: Favorite ODs?

Vince
The Clark Gainster. Very underrated and an extremely natural and warm sounding low to medium drive. Works great as a TS type booster too.

Re: Favorite ODs?

Madferret
If you've done the Guv'nor and you're looking at the Bluesbreaker then I'd recommend the Shredmaster, Miro was kind enough to do the layout after I requested it and it's got a nice range of EQ and gain options.  Other than that I'd recommend the Purple Plexi 800, BBE Green Screamer, Miro's 'Big Grace' layout and surprisingly the BOSS SD-1 was a very nice straight up OD. If you were after a little more gain I really enjoyed the Runoffgroove Mockman.  I probably should add though that I haven't done any of the more popular OD's yet so there are probably plenty out there that I'll enjoy more once I get around to them.

Re: Favorite ODs?

Wild Turkey
My go to pedal is a Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800 housed with a SHO for boost
also a Timmy & Zendrive together for creamy fat od
Any of these are great pedals!

Re: Favorite ODs?

Madferret
Oh and the Lovepedal Woodrow is definitely worth the 30 mins it'll take you to build it ;)  Don't worry about the gain pot, your guitar's volume knob will do the job just fine!

Re: Favorite ODs?

Dave
The fuzzhugger groundswell overdrive is really nice, and simple to.
Thanks
Dave

Re: Favorite ODs?

jtn191
thanks for the good suggestions! Dunno why I mentioned Bluesbreaker...just something I haven't tried before.

Reminds me that I had a Zvex Distortron pcb I hadn't finished--those sound quite a bit like the Box of Rock, which sounds great.

Guess I'm chasing after some good low gain sounds (Timmy) and JTM45/5e3 sounds

Re: Favorite ODs?

Jon the Art Guy
it's not vero-friendly, but you may want to look up the Valvecaster. a 12ax7 Tube and some components which make a very warm, thick OD.