Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

spacefuzz74
What is you favorite treble booster, as a lot of them are variations on the Rangemaster, (like the Red Rooster) the layouts do seems to vary a bit.  There is also the Greg Fryer booster, various "Brian May" builds...a whole bunch.

I'm looking to make more of a "full boost" and was hoping some of you could weigh in on what mods you did to a booster that turned out great.

I saw a post by Rocket88 about a modified rangemaster:

"rangemaster - modified mine for more low end, more of a full boost now then a treble booster, but if gives this amazing germanium warmth, and adds just enough hair to my signal to just make things perfect."

Rocket88, if you see this, let me know what your approach was!

Just looking for some opinions and ideas.  Thanks!

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

Oh i see this, in fact my ears were burning when you typed my name. Lol. I’ll crack mine open when i get home later today, it’s been a long time since i built it and dont remember exactly what i did. I remember changing the input cap, maybe the output cap, but i don’t remember the values or if thee was more done.

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

spacefuzz74
Thanks man!

And unrelated to the booster, I'm intrigued with these mini 100w amps you have made.  What can you tell me about them.   Did you just build from the schematic?  A kit?

They look awesome.

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

Frank_NH
Try the ROG Omega.  I recently put together a project which uses the Omega in front of a Vox AC-30 amp sim and it sounds great.  Alone, the Omega provides both an overall dB boost along with treble control.

Here's the original ROG article:

Original ROG Omega article

Here's the vero project link:

ROG Omega

Here's the link to my project (the Q-Drive):

Q-Drive

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

spacefuzz74
Yes!  Thanks...I was looking at the Omega also.  I was going build the Omega and Red Rooster this weekend and decide which I like better.

Still looking for more opinions/guidance/mods if anyone out there wants to weigh in!

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

Mulekicker
I really like the Catalinbread Naga Viper. Its silicon, but still sounds good to me. The range knob makes it super flexible as far as what frequency is getting a boost. Soon I'm gonna build a ss/bs Sparkle Motion from the layout on the main page. Seems like it will be a good one too.

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

jaredcohen
+1 for the Naga. I don't even like treble boosters and I like it.

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

Finally cracked mine open, built it 6 years ago. Quick look over my board and it's basically a range master using a MP20A Russian transistor, and increased input and output caps, resistors are mostly stock, just altered for proper bias. My suggestion is you can build a range master with a pot to sweep between a larger and smaller so you can find the sweet spot for whatever guitar or amp your using.

As to your other question I saw your new post about it and will give some info in the thread.
KT

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

KT
Check "Modified Sparkle Motion" in circuit designs. It is based on: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.be/2013/04/smallsoundbigsound-sparkle-motion.html

It uses a PNP transistor but you can still daisychain it with other pedals. The red rooster is also nice.
Rangemasters are a nice project for the breadboard.

Re: Favorite Treble Booster and/or Mods, Ideas

Gabi Smith
Just to say... My experience is that the real joy of the booster is the increase of volume. So, when I need one. I always come back to the easiest one : a transistor, 2 resistors (one from the suply to the out capacitor, and the other from the collector to the base of the transistor) and two capacitors (in and out). It sounds good, it's fastly done, easy to bias and as it reacts with the gain of the transistor is able to give a monstreous amount of gain. And what I love is that the transistor have a big influence on the sound.