Forum adjustments and improvements.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Vince
A buy/Sell/Trade would be a good idea... although I probably end up skint!.... I'm on the hunt for a Fender Blues Junior as it happens... If anyone knows of one.... ;o)

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

toddvirgil
dexxyy wrote
Any chance of including a build gallery pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease
+1 on this one!!

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

GoranP

I just thought of two more ideas...

- maybe have a dedicated troubleshooting sub-forum? I'd help out more but I have no idea that people need help unless the post asking for it is in the latest comments and showing up on the front page. If it's not in sight, I don't know it's happening
-if not that, maybe whoever verifies the build can also post correct voltages for crucial components? one sees all these voltage measurements in comments all over the place but they are always of people having issues. Very rarely can one see a set of measurements of a fully working build. People fix their problem and never post back with the changes.

whaddyathink?

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

alltrax74
Trouble shooting sub forum definitely sounds good to me

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

alltrax74
Mark, Miro, would it be possible to pin The Tayda coupon thread ?
Thanks
Denis

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

john
First I just want to say Mark and Miro you guys have done an amazing job with the site and really creating a positive and helpful building community. If it wasn't for them and everyone in the forum here I probably wouldn't have been bit by the building bug, and probably wouldn't still be at it and trying to make my own circuits from what I've learned. With that being said I think that it would be a good idea to have a subforum for those trying to make their own circuits to provide designs, and get for help if needed. Also, maybe have a subforum for resources for newbies and veterans to help guide, like I've gotten so far. Also, I dont know what it is with the forum layout, but when I try to view it on my iPhone in safari it cant fit on the screen and gets kinda distorted, not sure if anyone else has the same issue.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Dulouz
This isn't actually for the forum suggestion, but a blog suggestion.

Something that would be EXTREMELY helpful would be a parts list on every post.

So far, I've been making my own by crossing off components on a printed copy of the layout. I understand that it would be extra work for the guys and I don't want to sound greedy or unappreciative for what they do. I really do appreciate it! But if it's not too much trouble, parts lists would be super helpful.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

All sounds good to me too.

I particularly like the "Post your own layout" and "Post your own design" threads idea - once verified, they could then be exported over to the main site?

One query on the legality of posting schematics on this board though. As you say most schematics can be found using Google or looking on FSB  etc., but could you run into legal trouble posting copyrighted or "Not for public use" schems on here? Would a simple link to the source be safer legally?

I just don't don't like the idea of you getting grief from the owners, should a schem be requested, and a member of the forum finding it online, then posting it up without realising.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

mirosol
Administrator
Just added "contributions" and "friend's market". I want at least 5 comments with "Yay!" on them before i flush the current requests section and star a new one...
fyaelectronics.com

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Beaker
Can I be the first to shout "Yay!"?

The user layout page, and user circuit designs page are a great addition. Thanks Miro.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

motterpaul
I have a simple comment about the layout of the forums - the page is more narrow than most web sites these days. It is as if it is optimized for 800x600 monitor resolution instead of 1024 (width).

The result is that pictures that are larger require side to side scrolling. I do not know the format for this blogspot.com, or if this is fixable, but smaller width gives the site a somewhat antiquated look and it makes seeing pictures much more difficult.

Most web sites these days adjust to the size of the monitor, or else are 1024 pixels minimally.

Another somewhat silly thing is that every time I open up a larger picture of a layout (in the blog section, not the forums) It loses my spot in the blog, so if I hit the back button I am not where I was before opening the picture. I did finally discover the "X" to close the picture and to return to where I was - but this is not standard web usage. It would easier just to have tags that make each larger picture open in a different tab so you do not lose your place. The same thing happens is you click on "comments" and then try to go back to the regular blog - you lose your place. I am not even sure why the site works that way since it is not the way browsers are designed to work.

I am not saying this is critical - I am just curious if anyone else noticed this and has been vexed by it as I have been.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Yes it's the fixed width of the template in blogspot.  When I'm looking at the forum I go direct to the nabble link which is:

http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i had an idea that even i couldn't keep on it...i don't know if this is the right place to post, but i'll post it here anyway.

what if everyone who verifies a layout first HAS to post the working voltages too?and also everyone who builds something already verified will do the same if there are no voltages for that one.

that could help lot of people, and could give a push to start debugging their circuits by them selves to a next level from that
 "i don't get sound but bypass works perfect.what can i do?"
(witch i've done a couple of times...)
i think it's easy and fair enought.
what do you people think?

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

It's a good idea, it would be fantastic if the person verifying the circuits would do that.  When I post my usual "Thanks for verifying buddy" post I'll ask for the voltages too

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

I was thinking, since there  are a lot of new people, and a lot of debugging going on, what about making a debugging section of the forum, and we can have rules posted as to what you need to do to be able to get help (ie: pictures of the board top/bottom, description of issue, etc), and have steps posted as to what you should do to debug. I think it would help keep things more organized and be really helpful, especially if for instance I build something and have trouble I can easily find if someone had the same issue, so I don't have to make a new post. Maybe even have a build note section with tips and tricks for certain pedals. Idk, just some things I got rolling around in my head.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

ξεναγος νεκροπολης
i'll start (slowly slowly) posting voltages!
i have some boards out of box.
later i'll start opening the boxed!

i don't know man...every time i think of voltages and debugging, little angel chorus and blue box comes like nightmares in my mind!

but after i made those work, i fear nothing!

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Frank_NH
Voltages?  What are those??

Seriously, that's a good idea - voltages for all transistors and jfets, although I'm not sure if op amp voltages would be useful - perhaps.

I would also request that people at least say a little something about the sound.  Is it what you expected?  Does it sound like the original.  Noise levels?  Fizziness?  Works well with other pedals?  Sometimes I see something posted like "Verified.  It worked great!"  Ummm.  How great?

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Opamp voltages are just as important as transistors.  With the usual DIP8 we know pin 4 should be 0V and pin 8 should be at the supply voltage level, and in most cases the other pins should all be somewhere between 4 and 5V.  That often gives a really big clue to a problem area, or just as importantly, tell us that the voltages all look good which suggests a bad connection elsewhere like a bad solder joint rather than a faulty or misplaced component around the opamp.

Re: Forum adjustments and improvements.

Frank_NH
You're right IvIark.  Of course, the supply and ground pins should always be +9V and 0 (in most cases), but if the output is low that may mean a bad chip.  That happened to me when I built the ROG UBE Screamer - I traced the problem to a bad output voltage on one of the inverters.
123