Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Frank_NH
There's a schematic at FSB that looks like it ready to go.  Pedal sounds great from the demos.

http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27775&start=40

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Alex
Hi Frank!
I've being watching that thread for a while.
I don't think there's a final schematic yet.
Lot of guessing.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Frank_NH
Yes - it's getting close.  I think one of the latest pdf schematics looked pretty complete.  The tone controls are interesting, which is one reason I think it would be a good build.  Also, the clipping is LED-based, and I like LED clippers in general.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

velouriafx
Any news?

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Alex
Schematic has been updated.
I'm drawing a layout but some values are missing.
Will have to be tested.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

GrooveChampion
Oh this gonna be good.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Excellent.  Which schematic are you using?  I would blend the last hand-drawn one with the previous schematic, which appears to show most of the component values.  If you'd like, I could simulate some part of the circuit in LTSpice to try to arrive at a specific component value that would work.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Alex
Hey Frank!
Done this 10 days ago but forgot about it! Too busy!
People don't seem to be too interested on FSB and there have been no inputs since the last schematic.
Double check it but it should be ok.
Hope it works!

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

GrooveChampion
I NEED TO BUILD THIS!

Can I use a B10k? C10Ks are kinda scarce.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Great job Alex!  I'll have a look at the layout and compare it to the schematics.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Alex
B10K would work but the pot wouldn't react the same way.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

balazs.bencs
I built this, and it works fine, controls seem to work fine.

For C1 and C2 I just used two 47nf caps that I had on my desk for some reason, so I'll try to experiment with those, cause I think these values are not right - it is losing some of the treble, but sounds great to me, lot of mids and bark.

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Hozy31
I also built this using 470pf in C1 and 1nf in C2. I used 3mm red LEDs but i think 5mm will be better. Sounds pretty good IMO.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Alex
Cool guys! Would you call it verified? Does it sound similar to the original?

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

GrooveChampion
Can you explain the difference between 5mm and 3mm leds? Different forward voltages means different tones, right?

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Hozy31
Ok i'm wrong in saying 5mm would be better, as LEDs of the same colour no matter the size have the same voltage drop as the light emitting part of a 5 mm LED is the same size as the ones used in the 3 mm LEDs. The major difference is the beam, the 5 mm ones are usually tighter collimated. I will have a go with different colours and see. However, i think its pretty close to the original as far as i can tell.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

kirshman
What diodes? If bat54 are you soldering leads on them?

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

Hozy31
I used BAT 85s instead of 54s as there specs looked similar.
"Red velvet lines the black box"

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

lossamoal
Hi guys!
I'm french, so excuse me for my poor english!
I built this board and it seems not working as well as the original. Only a crunch signal...
No leds in board are brighting... Max level and gain sound less with bypass signal.
As anyone can tell me about this?
I thank so many this blog and many people working in this, and all the information that can be found there.
I built many pedal with vero boards found, as Fuzz Factory, Triple Wreck, Small Clone... But this one gives me a hard time!
Best regards...

Re: Friedman BE-OD Pedal

kirshman
I don't know if Alex updated this one, there's a new confirmed layout on the main page.  Might wanna check that one out.
12