Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

anders
This post was updated on .
Unverified layout of a new Friedman pedal, a medium gain od with a diode clip switch and a treble cut switch. Here is the schematic.

*Edit* Updated the layout with correct cap values and switches to SPDT on/off/on

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

HamishR
Well I built it and it works! Actually it sounds quite good.  It likes my Strat more than my Duo Jet and has a surprising amount of bassiness to it.  So for once I don't feel the need to add any lows.

The hi-cut switch is interesting - it's not just a treble roll-off; it seems to shift the treble or something.  Initially I wondered why you would have a treble cut switch if you have a tone control but it does more than just slice off some highs.  It's relatively subtle but useful I guess.

Overall it's a bit more compressed than I usually like but it's cool.

Thanks Anders!

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

anders

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

GrooveChampion
Built it, boxed it, sounds FANTASTIC....though I used bright green LEDs.

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

Gainiac
Built, definite keeper.  I dunno why there isn't more buzz on the pearl b/c after building 2 (this layout and pcb) I can confidently say this little gem is a 9V Klon Killer; I own a storebought Archer & MXR sugar drive for comparison.

Anyway, my advice is socket the leds and try a number of color/size combos as the circuit is very responsive to these changes, I even sometimes found going from 3mm to 5mm to make a noticeable change to tone.  FWIW I found my fav combo to be a 5mm green & 5mm IR (purple lense) but a pair of 5mm IR will give you a very mean snarl that also sounds good.  I also have to Agree with Hamish in that both switches are very usefull so give them a chance and don't just hardwire it right off the bat.

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

Gainiac
And thank you for taking the time to draw this up Anders, would be a great addition to the website imo.

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

HamishR
As I sometimes do with pedals I like, I work out which bits work for me and leave out the bits I don't need.  So i built another of these without the switches.  I used red LEDs for clipping and simplified the treble so i didn't need the hi-cut.

So now it's just another 3-knob OD - but a very good one!  Amazing that there is still room in the world for another 3-knob overdrive.  :-)  But there really is.

(edit)  Just in case anyone is interested - and i have no reason to think that you might! - but here is what I did to the original Golden Pearl in (a) an attempt to simplify it, and (b) make it suit my playing better.  I like to prune anything I don't use.  Then I can't use it by mistake.  :-)

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

Teddeeh
Hello.
After reviewing there are changes needed. Then verified.
Spdt, on off on. For both.

Hi cut, its 2n2 and 3n9
Not 22n and 39n.

Toodles xx

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

anders
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. layout updated.

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

Teddeeh
You are most welcome.
Thank you tho for all your work for the community.  You kick serious ass.

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

anfra98
someone works on the voice switch?

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

BetterOffShred
It looks like it's just changing from the 4148s to the yellow diode pairs for clipping.  Make sure you have the diodes soldered in anti-parallel (one facing the other direction of the other) if it's not working.

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

UnklePhil
HamishR, I built your modded/simplified version, just swaped one red led for 1N4148, to make it a little more dirty.
It's really a great circuit.
Thanks a lot!

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

guimprado
Voice SW. 1 goes into C1 or C4?

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

alltrax74
It can go where ever you want from C1 to C7 (before the trace cut at C8)
C1 is the easiest

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

guimprado
Tks, I asked cause the + sign =D

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

guimprado
And then I realized it was for the leds lol

What is the best way to do the offboard wiring on this pedal?

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl - Verified

alltrax74
Like any other true bypass switching pedal, see the offboard wiring section
http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/02/offboard-wiring.html

Re: Friedman Golden Pearl

guimprado
Where goes the Gain 3 and the Tone 1 in the simplified mod?
12